sponsored skilled visa, followed by 189

I am a visa newbie, so would like some advice on our situation:

will apply for a sponsored skilled visa (job offers in the pocket, will accept one next week) and hopefully will be able to start new job late September/early October. New employer is pre-approved sponsor so hopefully application shouldn't take too long. Skills assessment pending. However, my plan is to apply for a 189 at the same time, as I want to have the freedom to work wherever I want for whoever I want. 

IELTS done, medical scheduled, police records requested, documents scanned in, form 80 filled out, should have 65 points at least (I know it's not an awful lot, but since I'll have a sponsored visa I am not in much of a hurry).

Anyone who has followed the same route to obtain PR and willing to offer advice on the do's and don'ts?

On 06/04/2018 at 05:48, VERYSTORMY said:

You will need a skills assessment before submitting an eoi and at the moment, an eoi with 65 points will not get an invite as only applicants with a minimum of 70 are being invited. 

I am waiting to hear back regarding my skills assessment as I needed to register with the veterinary board prior first, but I assume that will not be a problem.

Doesn't it also depend on one's profession whether an invitation is sent? So a profession in higher demand may not require as high a score as a profession in less high demand, even though both are on the list? 

Edited by Klaartje
incomplete post