where to go ? help please

Luciew

hi all, we have just returned from a holiday north or Perth and we fell in loved with the place.  Although, we are really struggling with if we go do we go perth or manly.  we have never been to manly area but its been recommended.

I would be so grateful for any advice

hi all, we have just returned from a holiday north or Perth and we fell in loved with the place.  Although, we are really struggling with if we go do we go perth or manly.  we have never been to manly area but its been recommended.
I would be so grateful for any advice

Manly would be my choice but that’s because I love Sydney (are you talking about Manly, Sydney?) however Perth is much cheaper to live and is a nice place to be, depends on what you are coming for, what your job is and if you have a few million dollars in the bank to be able to afford Manly!
  • Like 1

yeah sorry manly sydney.  few million well manly is out then...
i would be looking for a clinical nurse manager post there

Sydney is one of the most expensive cities in the world unfortunately, we live here and love it but in the future we will probably move up to the central coast. Just have a look on the skills requirement list for the visa you want to apply for as some of the nurse manager and nurse educator roles have been removed.

thank you, if im honest i will apply on aged care as i have been doing this for 10 years and then look for manager roles once im out there.  would you recommend east or west coast ? for small towns near the beach ?

Plenty of work in aged care, I would advise you apply for permanent residency visa rather than a temp one as the health authorities are not finding these easy to support. Also applying for a job in Aus without a visa is not an attractive proposition for a hospital.
As far as living is concerned NSW is expensive, South Australia and Adelaide is cheaper and you could live near the beach. Otherwise live further inland. We live in Sydney but about 30km from the beach however I work 1km from the beach so I get my daily dose and beach walk (if I feel inclined). I don’t know about other parts of Aus, Sydney and Melbourne are the most expensive but great cities with lots to do and see.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Luciew said:

I guess Manly has been recommended because it has beautiful beaches, plus good nightlife.  The trouble is that it's very expensive.   In fact, if you want to live by the beach, you'll find it's very expensive in almost every city in Australia - but Sydney is by far the dearest, so if you have no strong reason to choose it, don't!

You can look on domain.com.au or realestate.com.au to see what house prices are like.  If the main attraction is the beach, then I'd be looking at smaller coastal towns, not the big cities, as you'd stand a better chance of affording a place.    Many Australians move to those towns in their old age, so there would be aged care opportunities there, I'd say.   Places like Port Macquarie in NSW.   

Different parts of Australia are very different, so don't assume the rest of Australia is the same as Perth.   It's not.  If you really liked Perth, then it might make more sense to go where you know, rather than relying on other people's recommendations, because people's tastes are different.  For instance, I'd choose Sydney or Melbourne before Perth every time - but my friend Alison would much rather live in Perth than Sydney.

The only thing I'd say is, ask yourself why you liked Perth so much, and that it wasn't just because you were in holiday mode.  Can you imagine what life would be like when you're working full-time?   Where could you afford to buy a place?  Would you be close enough to the beach for an early-morning swim, or would that mean a horrible commute?  etc.

Edited by Marisawright

thanks all

manly has been recommended by family that live there, other than that there appears to be more jobs available for me there.

I will definitely be applying got PR visa as my husband here is a fireman and would hope to continue in this role.

youre right what i loved about the area we stayed was how quiet it was although could still drive to larger towns 

14 minutes ago, Luciew said:

thanks all

manly has been recommended by family that live there, other than that there appears to be more jobs available for me there.

I will definitely be applying got PR visa as my husband here is a fireman and would hope to continue in this role.

youre right what i loved about the area we stayed was how quiet it was although could still drive to larger towns 

I'm a bit confused about where you were staying, were you in Perth or in a country town?

12 hours ago, Luciew said:

thanks all

In WA your husbands skills are not transferable he would have to apply all over again and go through the process the same as everyone else, I understand competition is pretty high for roles.

11 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

Well the contrast between Quinns Rocks and Manly would be huge. Quinns is a very quiet outer suburb of Perth whereas Manly is an upmarket suburb of Sydney.

I'm not sure about "upmarket".  It's expensive but still has that laidback surfer vibe.  However, it is VERY busy and bustling.  I would never call Manly quiet, especially on a Saturday night!

I can't think of anywhere in Sydney where you could live in a peaceful beachside suburb and still be handy for town, unless you have two or three million for a house - or more.

If you have family in Sydney, then consider somewhere like Newcastle which is close enough to visit easily, has lovely beaches but is big enough to have decent job opportunities. 

Edited by Marisawright

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I'm not sure about "upmarket".  It's expensive but still has that laidback surfer vibe.  However, it is VERY busy and bustling.  I would never call Manly quiet, especially on a Saturday night!

I can't think of anywhere in Sydney where you could live in a peaceful beachside suburb and still be handy for town, unless you have two or three million for a house - or more.

If you have family in Sydney, then consider somewhere like Newcastle which is close enough to visit easily, has lovely beaches but is big enough to have decent job opportunities. 

It's upmarket compared to Quinns Rock :D!