School at arrival

Guest nastasia

Guest nastasia

Hi, we are moving to melbourne at the end of this year and will be renting temporarily. Our son will need to join a primary school. However since we do not have a rental place yet how will my son be admitted to a school? Also what if we decide to move to another area not far, does my son need to move school also?

Keep him out of school until you’ve got something that’s going to be vaguely permanent. Schools usually like to see evidence of a longer term residence as they aren’t obliged to take a child who lives outside their priority enrolment area. Equally, they are obliged to find a place for a child who lives within their catchment area so you don’t have to worry about whether they will get a place anywhere.

Nobody is going to give a toss if you keep him out for a couple of months while you get settled. It’s not worth enrolling him if you’re going somewhere else after a few weeks/months but if it’s around the 6-12 month mark, no, they won’t ask you to move but you may we’ll find it more convenient to have him in the neighbourhood school.

36 minutes ago, nastasia said:

Thanks for the reply. I will be renting for a year most probably at the start

Well a years rental will be fine but it might take you several weeks to find one. Don’t rush him into school until you’ve signed the rental agreement 

To add, if you are arriving the end of the year, schools break mid December for the 6 week summer holidays, so no real rush to get him into school for perhaps only a few weeks at the end of the academic year. You'll have until nearer the end of January before schools open again. 

Just to add, we are in NSW and if you move after your child is enrolled in school and you are further than 2.2km (I think) you can apply for a free school bus pass. Good Luck with the move. 

Also, in my experience, once you enroll at a school your child can literally start the next day (if you can get organized with uniform etc). I met with my kids schools (one in Primary and one in High) on the Tuesday and they both said kids could start next day but I asked for a Monday start rather to give me time to get uniform, books etc.

Archived