British-style pubs in Melbourne

Saurer Pfirsich

22 minutes ago, unzippy said:

I'm sure you know, but just in case - Aussie craft beer (or any craft beer) is nothing like London Pride, Old Peculiar or other UK bitters.  From what I've experienced in Aus/UK/US craft beer is way over hopped and far too dry.  It's like they try too hard but then produce something that needs a glass of water chaser.

Also Australian "Bitter" and "Pale Ales" don't mean the same as back in the UK

As an old-school Bitter drinker craft ales do nothing for me I'm afraid. I just find them too tart and acidic on the palate, unlike traditional British Bitters which have a more rounded, nuttier taste. They seem to be super-popular though, particularly with the younger, hipper, drinker. I did find a pub in Melbourne last weekend which sells LP and Speckled Hen, but they serve them ice-cold like a lager (I guess for transportation purposes) which kills much of the taste which is a shame.  

1 hour ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

As an old-school Bitter drinker craft ales do nothing for me I'm afraid. I just find them too tart and acidic on the palate, unlike traditional British Bitters which have a more rounded, nuttier taste. They seem to be super-popular though, particularly with the younger, hipper, drinker. I did find a pub in Melbourne last weekend which sells LP and Speckled Hen, but they serve them ice-cold like a lager (I guess for transportation purposes) which kills much of the taste which is a shame.  

Google The Duke of Clarence in case you visit Sydney.

I was in the Charles Dickens in Melbourne last week, bit pokey, like sitting in an air raid shelter with beams. I think if you're coming to Australia for a holiday, a bar that has windows (at least) is probably in order.

1 hour ago, s713 said:

I was in the Charles Dickens in Melbourne last week, bit pokey, like sitting in an air raid shelter with beams. I think if you're coming to Australia for a holiday, a bar that has windows (at least) is probably in order.

That sounds like the pub I found last weekend, the 'Sherlock Holmes' it was called. It was a pretty good approximation of an old British pub, but in an underground cellar! I liked it. It reminded me of pubs back home - low beams, British beers and they were even showing football highlights. Going to take my mate in there when he arrives in town next week. :)

Archived