South Australia skilled work experience

Hi all,

I have already achieved a positive skills assessment for 139913 Laboratory Manager (3.4 years) and was hoping to apply for state sponsorship with South Australia on July 1st (not able to apply now due to high 90 points requirement, I only have 70).

I have just realised that South Australia require "at least 1 year of skilled work experience in the last 3 years", see http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/skilled-migrants/nomination-process. Please also see section 5.2 of http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/skilled-migrants/nomination-process/skilled-nomination-requirements, which states "Skilled work experience is defined as at least 20 hours per week of paid employment in a skilled occupation on the list of state nominated occupations. The skilled work experience does not need to be in your nominated or closely related occupation...".

VETASSESS have not accepted my current role as being closely related to Laboratory Manager, but have included my two previous jobs. So in accordance with VETASSESS, the last job I had that was relevant to a Laboratory Manager ended November 2015. Even if I were to apply SA state sponsorship now, my nominated skilled work experience would only be 9 months (March to November 2015). In July, I would only have 5 months (July to November 2015) of nominated skilled work experience. 

My question is are South Australia as rigid as VETASSESS when it comes to deciding what experience is closely related to the nominated occupation? My reason for asking is that the job I do now is very similar to what I did before, only it is a more senior role with added commercial responsibility, but no direct reports and fewer laboratory based activities (hence why VETASSESS did not accept it).

Any guidance/advice on this would be appreciated. I am so worried that I may now not be eligible to apply for a subclass 190 with South Australia.

10 hours ago, Jonno1981 said:

Hi all,

I have already achieved a positive skills assessment for 139913 Laboratory Manager (3.4 years) and was hoping to apply for state sponsorship with South Australia on July 1st (not able to apply now due to high 90 points requirement, I only have 70).

I have just realised that South Australia require "at least 1 year of skilled work experience in the last 3 years", see http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/skilled-migrants/nomination-process. Please also see section 5.2 of http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/skilled-migrants/nomination-process/skilled-nomination-requirements, which states "Skilled work experience is defined as at least 20 hours per week of paid employment in a skilled occupation on the list of state nominated occupations. The skilled work experience does not need to be in your nominated or closely related occupation...".

VETASSESS have not accepted my current role as being closely related to Laboratory Manager, but have included my two previous jobs. So in accordance with VETASSESS, the last job I had that was relevant to a Laboratory Manager ended November 2015. Even if I were to apply SA state sponsorship now, my nominated skilled work experience would only be 9 months (March to November 2015). In July, I would only have 5 months (July to November 2015) of nominated skilled work experience. 

My question is are South Australia as rigid as VETASSESS when it comes to deciding what experience is closely related to the nominated occupation? My reason for asking is that the job I do now is very similar to what I did before, only it is a more senior role with added commercial responsibility, but no direct reports and fewer laboratory based activities (hence why VETASSESS did not accept it).

Any guidance/advice on this would be appreciated. I am so worried that I may now not be eligible to apply for a subclass 190 with South Australia.

If you copied this directly then you do not have a problem if you have been working in any field that is on the list.  Is your current role on the list?

Edited by rammygirl

6 hours ago, rammygirl said:

If you copied this directly then you do not have a problem if you have been working in any field that is on the list.  Is your current role on the list?

That's the problem I think, I don't believe my current role is on SA's list unless they accept it is related to my nominated occupation (Laboratory Manager), which I feel it should be. 

I find it strange that SA don't require your current role to be the same as the nominated occupation, but it must still be on their occupation list. If my current role was on their list I would have nominated it for skills assessment by an appropriate industry body and applied for a 190 with that occupation.