Moving to OZ.

Ree18

I’m looking to move to Australia in January. My mother lives over there and has done since 2010. I’m 18 (will be 19 when I move) and I work full time. I’m just curious as to what visa I should be looking for to be able to do the move. 

I’ve looked at some visa’s but the criteria for some looks like I wouldn’t be accepted. 

Thanks in advanced! :) 

You might not be able to “move” to Australia. You can go for a working holiday - either one year or two depending on whether you do your 3 months regional work, but then you’d be expected to leave if you aren’t dependent on your mum (and working full time you won’t be) or skilled (hard to be at 18). 

You might just have to enjoy your holiday then, if you still want to live there, when you get home, look at a career change to get yourself trained in a career that might get you a skilled visa. Unless, of course you’ve got lots of money and can pay to be an international student in Australia and, even then, probably have to return once your studies are finished. 

Failing that if you find a nice young Aussie bloke you want to spend the rest of your days with you might get a partner visa but that might be rather a mercenary approach.

What skills do you have? Your best bet would be to develop an in-demand skill in something like Early Years Education. The reason for this is that if you can develop that, and then go for a Working Holiday Visa, it shold be possible to work in some kind of child care role on a working hols visa (albeit at a low "casual" level), then utilise that as a stepping stone to find an employer willing to sponsor you for a permanent visa. Hopefully your mum could help with a bit of networking to link you up with an employer who is happy to do that. Bear in mind the exact skills wanted lists constantly change so keep an eye out on the ones in your target states - going for state nomination in a regional area is usually your best bet, i.e. outside of Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane - and for some reason Wollongong and Gold Coast as well (because, obviously....). If your family are in Adelaide or Perth then you're in luck as they still count as "regional" despite being capitals.Hobart and Darwin also count as regional locations, as does - despite being the federal capital (!), Canberra.

54 minutes ago, HibiscusDreams said:

What skills do you have? Your best bet would be to develop an in-demand skill in something like Early Years Education. The reason for this is that if you can develop that, and then go for a Working Holiday Visa, it shold be possible to work in some kind of child care role on a working hols visa (albeit at a low "casual" level), then utilise that as a stepping stone to find an employer willing to sponsor you for a permanent visa. Hopefully your mum could help with a bit of networking to link you up with an employer who is happy to do that. Bear in mind the exact skills wanted lists constantly change so keep an eye out on the ones in your target states - going for state nomination in a regional area is usually your best bet, i.e. outside of Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane - and for some reason Wollongong and Gold Coast as well (because, obviously....). If your family are in Adelaide or Perth then you're in luck as they still count as "regional" despite being capitals.Hobart and Darwin also count as regional locations, as does - despite being the federal capital (!), Canberra.

You are aware that an early years teacher requires four years of university study to be eligible

The only way you can get there permanently is by way of skills.  This means either university and work experience afterwards  or training and experience for a job that's on the skilled list. These lists change all the time so you need to remember that. Don't spend years training for something you dislike because by the time you get to the end that skill may no longer be on the list.  You are many years away from getting there I'm afraid. You could go on a working holiday visa but that will end and you will have to return to the U.K.

Archived