Sponsor Police Checks - 309 Visa

RobC269

Hi folks :)

I submitted my 309 application on 15th February, and received a 'Request for Information' on 16th February which had a list of all the documents I was required to provide within 28 days.

I've been asked to do my UK police check and medical, and provide all the usual evidence, however there is no request for any police checks for my sponsor. At the time I received this request, we had not yet submitted the 40SP sponsorship form - I don't know if that has any bearing on the request.

Does this mean I don't need them, or am I just going to be asked for further police checks later? It would seem a bit silly to do police checks separately, given they take 2-3 weeks to process.

I was under the impression they were mandatory now, but I haven't been asked for them...

Any guidance much appreciated!

Rob

5 hours ago, RobC269 said:

Hi folks :)

I submitted my 309 application on 15th February, and received a 'Request for Information' on 16th February which had a list of all the documents I was required to provide within 28 days.

I've been asked to do my UK police check and medical, and provide all the usual evidence, however there is no request for any police checks for my sponsor. At the time I received this request, we had not yet submitted the 40SP sponsorship form - I don't know if that has any bearing on the request.

Does this mean I don't need them, or am I just going to be asked for further police checks later? It would seem a bit silly to do police checks separately, given they take 2-3 weeks to process.

I was under the impression they were mandatory now, but I haven't been asked for them...

Any guidance much appreciated!

Rob

Hi Rob,

I can’t answer your question sorry, but out of interest - you submitted your application and after one day heard back from them? Have you been assigned a case officer also? Which country are you applying from?

Hi Oliver,

I'm applying from UK. I got an email this morning saying my sponsor does NOT need police checks, so I guess that clears up my original question.

Regarding the case officer... I'm not sure - I don't know if you always get a notification about that.

2 hours ago, RobC269 said:

Hi Oliver,

I'm applying from UK. I got an email this morning saying my sponsor does NOT need police checks, so I guess that clears up my original question.

Regarding the case officer... I'm not sure - I don't know if you always get a notification about that.

Hi Rob,

Seems like a very quick turnaround in terms of them requesting health and police checks - 1 day! I was under the impression from reading this forum and others that people wait months for this to happen!

It is quick - I'm definitely not the only one, but it does seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

I think the rules say the sponsor must provide police checks 'when requested by the department'... so I suppose there is still an element of discretion? Who knows!

4 minutes ago, RobC269 said:

It is quick - I'm definitely not the only one, but it does seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

I think the rules say the sponsor must provide police checks 'when requested by the department'... so I suppose there is still an element of discretion? Who knows!

Yes deinfately. Do you mind giving us some context to your application / relationship? May help others understand how an application can be processed so quickly (although I understand this can also be quite random!)

I thought I had submitted a relatively straight forward application and haven’t heard back yet (although has only been about a week and a half, so still extremely short period of time compared to others!)

And interesting what you say about the sponsor’s police checks. Wonder how they decide who to ask and who not to ask.

1 hour ago, oliver27 said:

Yes deinfately. Do you mind giving us some context to your application / relationship? May help others understand how an application can be processed so quickly (although I understand this can also be quite random!)

I thought I had submitted a relatively straight forward application and haven’t heard back yet (although has only been about a week and a half, so still extremely short period of time compared to others!)

And interesting what you say about the sponsor’s police checks. Wonder how they decide who to ask and who not to ask.

Partner Visas in the Uk are being processed very quickly at present, in general. 2-3 months is being reported by recent grants. A week and a half is a bit hopeful though!

Edited by Nemesis

35 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

Partner Visas in the Uk are being processed very quickly at present, in general. 2-3 months is being reported by recent grants. A week and a half is a bit hopeful though!

I meant being contacted so quickly by the department, not being granted! And like I say, I know 1.5 weeks is still very very early in the process, but this post about being contacted literally the day after has me intrigued!

3 hours ago, oliver27 said:

Out of curiosity it would be interesting to know your situation. We applied at the end of Jan 18. Aussie / UK Civil partnership applying from the UK been together over 3 years and not herd anything. 

Although no news could be good news as they may not require any additional information. 

16 minutes ago, J-J said:

Out of curiosity it would be interesting to know your situation. We applied at the end of Jan 18. Aussie / UK Civil partnership applying from the UK been together over 3 years and not herd anything. 

Although no news could be good news as they may not require any additional information. 

My situation or OP’s?

Yeah who knows. I just think if people have been assigned case officer and request for medical etc. then assume their cases are being processed faster than ours.

10 hours ago, oliver27 said:

My situation or OP’s?

Yeah who knows. I just think if people have been assigned case officer and request for medical etc. then assume their cases are being processed faster than ours.

Was meaning the OP's

I sent my medical and both police checks off the week after i submitted so they wouldn't need to ask me for those anyway. 

1 hour ago, J-J said:

Was meaning the OP's

I sent my medical and both police checks off the week after i submitted so they wouldn't need to ask me for those anyway. 

I didn’t do medicals or police check as read on this forum and others that better just to wait until they ask. Do you think it would be a good idea to get the process started with these? I know police check takes a bit, no idea how long the medical will take?

14 minutes ago, oliver27 said:

I didn’t do medicals or police check as read on this forum and others that better just to wait until they ask. Do you think it would be a good idea to get the process started with these? I know police check takes a bit, no idea how long the medical will take?

I don't know. seems 50/50 as to weather people are doing them before they are asked or waiting until they are requested for. I did my medical and police checks before reading anything on the forums I may have waited if I had read here first, although saying that after reading on here the UK applications seem to be processed before 12 months so the medicals and police checks shouldn't expire but i suppose you cant really bank on that. Although i'm hoping they are! 

You do have to enter within 12 months of doing the medical and police check though - at least, that is my understanding. So might be a risk if it hasn't yet been asked for.

On 21/02/2018 at 09:59, oliver27 said:

Oliver - When I called up to book my medical, they were able to offer appointments as close as 1 week away. They do a blood test so it takes a few days for results to come back after you've had your appointment. UK Police checks are supposed to take 10 working days (2 weeks).

My partner (AU citizen) and I are married with 1 child, don't know how they manage their incoming applications though. I did start drafting my form mid-2017 to save a mad rush when I was ready to submit, but I don't think that makes any difference.

You do have to enter within 12 months of doing the medical and police check though - at least, that is my understanding. So might be a risk if it hasn't yet been asked for.

Oliver - When I called up to book my medical, they were able to offer appointments as close as 1 week away. They do a blood test so it takes a few days for results to come back after you've had your appointment. UK Police checks are supposed to take 10 working days (2 weeks).

My partner (AU citizen) and I are married with 1 child, don't know how they manage their incoming applications though. I did start drafting my form mid-2017 to save a mad rush when I was ready to submit, but I don't think that makes any difference.

Hi Rob,

I've actually just had my medical this morning! Availability was a lot better than I thought! Hopefully my police check will come through soon as well (just paid for the usual 10 day service).

On 28/02/2018 at 11:55, oliver27 said:

Hi Rob,

I've actually just had my medical this morning! Availability was a lot better than I thought! Hopefully my police check will come through soon as well (just paid for the usual 10 day service).

Good luck! It took 4-5 days for my health assessment to be updated on IMMI afterwards. My police check is due back today - I haven't got it yet but that's probably down to the recent weather. Hopefully it'll show up shortly... :) 

• Thanks 1

Good luck! It took 4-5 days for my health assessment to be updated on IMMI afterwards. My police check is due back today - I haven't got it yet but that's probably down to the recent weather. Hopefully it'll show up shortly... :) 

How long have you been waiting for the police check for?

My medical seemed to be uploaded the next day. Guess it depends on the medical practice.