Skills Assessment - Employer References

jrc01

I'm pulling together docs for my skills assessment with CAANZ. Two of my employers (combined 2 years experience) have policies in place that only allow references confirming dates, salary, job title and won't provide anything that details my role and responsibilities. I understand you can provide a statutory declaration in this case but who needs to provide one? As a further sticking point comes from the fact other employees (e.g. former line managers) won't provide such a declaration as they don't want to breach company policy either.

Do I have any other options? I basically won't receive an invite to apply if I lose that 2 years of experience (as I would end up with just 65 points). Thanks.

My understanding is you will write your own statutory declaration detailing your role/ responsibilities and sign it in the presence of either 

• a solicitor
  • a notary public
  • a justice of the peace

I don't know if you are in the UK but if you are then you can ask HMRC for an employment statement which usually goes back 5 years to back up your payslips. If you have a contract of employment that would help or the original job ad. Coupled with basic reference confirming dates etc. you should have enough.

I do recommend seeking advice from a MARA registered agent however.

1 hour ago, Jsmull87 said:

My understanding is you will write your own statutory declaration detailing your role/ responsibilities and sign it in the presence of either 

• a solicitor
  • a notary public
  • a justice of the peace

I don't know if you are in the UK but if you are then you can ask HMRC for an employment statement which usually goes back 5 years to back up your payslips. If you have a contract of employment that would help or the original job ad. Coupled with basic reference confirming dates etc. you should have enough.

I do recommend seeking advice from a MARA registered agent however.

Thanks - yeah I'll be using an agent, just wanted to check before I pay anything that I'm actually likely to get sufficient allocation for my work experience. Namely because if I can't write a stat declaration myself for my previous two roles I'm a bit stuffed and would only therefore have 2.5 years of qualifying experience and so there'd be no point even doing an assessment at this stage. So good to hear I can probably just write my own statutory declaration; will then just get one of the solicitors at work to witness it.

My previous roles are fine with providing dates, salary, job title etc. and I have copies of my original contracts. Not sure I have a lot of my payslips so will do as you suggest and contact HMRC.