Go Get cars - anybody had experience with them?

MARYROSE02

After my old Corolla failed its rego in April last year I didn't bother to get a new car. I did join Go Get although I only hired a car from them once until last week when I did it twice in two days. Now, I understand how they work a little better after accidentally booking two cars from two different locations at the same time. I was worried about being charged twice but they just took one of the bookings off when I rang on Monday. I wondered why they don't have a reminder when you book but they told me some companies have multiple accounts so do book cars at the same time. Actually, individuals do too because I've added my brother to my account and he can get a car at the same time as me.

I get the Seniors' rate which I think is about $6.35 an hour and students also get under $7 and hour and it's more than $7 and hour for others. Where I live in Surry Hills, there is one "pod" outside my block of units, closer than my own garage, and three others within 200 metres. Once you have registered, you pick up a membership pack from a designated place - I went to a newsagent in World Square - then you book on line and use your membership card to open the car by pressing it on the front window. The actual keys are inside the car under the dashboard on an elastic string or in the door pocket together with a fuel card - you get issued a pin no with your booking so if you need to fill the tank - once it drops below 1/4 I think - you don't have to pay.

I am starting to see the benefits, at least in the inner city where there are so many "pods". Hiring for more than a couple of days it's probably cheaper to go to "No Birds!" (Bayswater Cars) (In Sydney at least). Don't book a car for more than you need it but make sure you have enough time to get it back to the pod, although you can extend the hire. I get the train to work and walk to most other places so I don't need a car.

• Like 1

Used them since we arrived in September, and I can't fault the customer service. Always been helpful, especially when there was an issue with the vehicle. The problems arise from other users-when they don't clean the vehicles, or they have a massive crash and report it as minor, and you go to collect that vehicle only to see that it isn't roadworthy. Avoid pods around student areas as these are the vehicles that may not be in tip top condition. Look for "pod specials", with discounts on their 24hr price.

• Like 1

Thanks, I shall watch out for that. I usually make a point of filling the car up now as a favour to the next driver.  I do have a quick look around the car but so far major damage or dirt. I am going to the cafe in a minute which is about two minutes walk and there is a pod right next to the cafe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2018 at 22:32, aconcannon said:

When we first arrived and needed a car to get us around until we bought our own, we used the skyscanner website to compare local car hire companies & then booked the one we liked. We signed up with Go Get but the hire car company worked out cheaper. We had the car for about 7 weeks.

Yes Go Get is only for short trips. I had one for two hours on Friday (2/3/18) for a doctor's appointment in South Coogee. Surry Hills to there and back by cab or Uber would have been much dearer. The only problem was that the previous driver had let the tank go down to almost empty rather than filling it as soon as it reached a 1/4 full. I complained to Go Get about that.

I am getting into the swing of Go Get now, having taken them recently, Friday mentioned above, last Sunday to go shopping in Macquarie Centre - not a pleasant drive in the rain - someone told me that Epping Road is better known as "Effing Road" - and the Thursday before that to  take a friend to Domestic - never, NEVER again will I try to park in the Domestic carpark!

Which car hire company did you go for? In my experience, both in Sydney and in Perth, no company beats "No Birds" (Bayswater Cars), mostly because they do not rip you off with the top insurance cover which other companies usually quote separately - like going in a pub and being told a schooner of beer will be $4 but you have to pay another $4 to rent the glass.

Yes Go Get is only for short trips. I had one for two hours on Friday (2/3/18) for a doctor's appointment in South Coogee. Surry Hills to there and back by cab or Uber would have been much dearer. The only problem was that the previous driver had let the tank go down to almost empty rather than filling it as soon as it reached a 1/4 full. I complained to Go Get about that.
I am getting into the swing of Go Get now, having taken them recently, Friday mentioned above, last Sunday to go shopping in Macquarie Centre - not a pleasant drive in the rain - someone told me that Epping Road is better known as "Effing Road" - and the Thursday before that to  take a friend to Domestic - never, NEVER again will I try to park in the Domestic carpark!
Which car hire company did you go for? In my experience, both in Sydney and in Perth, no company beats "No Birds" (Bayswater Cars), mostly because they do not rip you off with the top insurance cover which other companies usually quote separately - like going in a pub and being told a schooner of beer will be $4 but you have to pay another $4 to rent the glass.

If I remember correctly it was Hertz who we booked with. They were just the cheapest company in the search results on the comparison site. It worked out around $20 a day I think. We didn’t bother with the extra insurance.

It is the extra charge for top cover which makes all the car hire companies dear whereas "No Birds" charge you $10 a day for the top cover and even then it stops at $70 regardless of how long you have the car. I always take the top cover.

This is my latest reservation for five weeks:

Location PERTH
Pickup Date/Time 28/04/2018 @ 15:00
Return Date/Time: 03/06/2018 @ 11:00
Vehicle Type Toyota Corolla Hatch - NEW
Options: Top Cover (damage excess $0), ADDITIONAL DRIVER
Total: $1501.00