Any good agents?

Rach133

Hi all, I'm exploring the options me and my partner have with visa's at present - we are both so confused!

We would like to look at permanent residency, we are both skilled workers; I'm a social worker (2 years post qualified with a Masters degree, 8 years experience in the sector) and the Mr is in environmental health and safety (one year left on his degree studying whilst working full time but 10 years experience in development chemistry prior to this).

There are so many visa options; 457, 189, 190 etc, the Mr has used his working holiday visa already but I haven't. 

I am looking at agencies that could help us distinguish the right pathways for us - we are leaning towards the 189 but it's a lot of money wasted if it is the wrong one, and I'd need to apply for AASW prior to applying for an EOI.

Has anyone worked with a good agency they could recommend? We are in North West England at the mo!

Thanks All,

:)

After many years on the forum, the first thing I would say is I am huge fan of agents. Yes, people do it themselves, but there are a lot of people who spend a lot of cash and end up with a refusal and even a ban from applying because of a mistake.   

Bascially, the visas go in the following order with best to last:

then a LONG way down the road is a 457 which is only a temp visa with no automatic path to anything else and with a lot of issues. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks both for your opinions on this - we are very new to the realities of the move after thinking about it for a few years!

We will be going to an expo in a few weeks and we are hoping to meet an agent who would be able to support us through the process, again mainly for peace of mind. I'm glad you recommended the 189 as this was the one I though would be most likely to suit, but again, I would like supporting through this to ensure we do it all correctly and stand the best chance of it being approved. Just out of curiosity, why do you say the 189 is best?

Thanks for your help!

For 189 you nominate an occupation that is in the SOL list, as long as you make 60 points and its not a Pro rata occupation you are very likely to get an invite.You get the invite you apply and you get the Visa and now you can live anywhere in Australia.

For 190 you need state sponsorship and you get extra 5 points for 190 state sponsorship. Now if you are willing to do that meaning the state is willing to sponsor you, you get extra 5 points and using those you might make it to 60 or maybe more points…for pro rata occupations which are in great demand… With the 190 the expectation is that you will work in the nominated state for 2 years after the grant of the visa….

For 489 you need state sponsorship and you get extra 10 points for state nomination and you have to live and work in a designated regional area for a certain time before you are granted a PR. Its easier to get a nomination for a 489 as compared to a 190.

Hope this helps.. Good luck with everything

On 1/21/2018 at 21:18, Rach133 said:

Thanks both for your opinions on this - we are very new to the realities of the move after thinking about it for a few years!

We will be going to an expo in a few weeks and we are hoping to meet an agent who would be able to support us through the process, again mainly for peace of mind. I'm glad you recommended the 189 as this was the one I though would be most likely to suit, but again, I would like supporting through this to ensure we do it all correctly and stand the best chance of it being approved. Just out of curiosity, why do you say the 189 is best?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Rach 133,  those 3 visa options are your possibilities - 189, 190, 489. Your over all score in the Points Test will determine the best visa option for you. The first step is the calculate your potential points and if you think you can reach a minimum of 60, then get on with preparing for your skills assessment application.

You mentioned an expo you're going to. If that's next month and in London, I'll be there too as one of the participants. Feel free to say hi ?

Edited by RheaMARN1171933

On 22/01/2018 at 02:07, Rach133 said:

Hi all, I'm exploring the options me and my partner have with visa's at present - we are both so confused!

We would like to look at permanent residency, we are both skilled workers; I'm a social worker (2 years post qualified with a Masters degree, 8 years experience in the sector) and the Mr is in environmental health and safety (one year left on his degree studying whilst working full time but 10 years experience in development chemistry prior to this).

There are so many visa options; 457, 189, 190 etc, the Mr has used his working holiday visa already but I haven't. 

I am looking at agencies that could help us distinguish the right pathways for us - we are leaning towards the 189 but it's a lot of money wasted if it is the wrong one, and I'd need to apply for AASW prior to applying for an EOI.

Has anyone worked with a good agency they could recommend? We are in North West England at the mo!

Thanks All,

Do your research, chose carefully and make sure you use a Registered Agent. You can check registration details here.

A word of caution with the subclass 189 visa. Some companies will try and sell you on this visa stating that you only need 60 points to qualify. Although this is technically correct, no invitations for subclass 189 visas have been issued this program year (since July 2017) to candidates who score only 60 points. This visa has become increasingly difficulty and the latest invitation round required a minimum score of 70. Since July 2017, the minimum score required has ranged from 65 to 75 points.

4 minutes ago, Raul Senise said:

Do your research, chose carefully and make sure you use a Registered Agent. You can check registration details here.

A word of caution with the subclass 189 visa. Some companies will try and sell you on this visa stating that you only need 60 points to qualify. Although this is technically correct, no invitations for subclass 189 visas have been issued this program year (since July 2017) to candidates who score only 60 points. This visa has become increasingly difficulty and the latest invitation round required a minimum score of 70. Since July 2017, the minimum score required has ranged from 65 to 75 points.

Totally agree with above comment. Once you add up score more or less 60 points , best bet is do an English test - your saving grace!  then hopefully you get 70 or 80 points. Getting tougher and tougher with points I must say. 

I migrated to Australia many years ago and it was way simpler then but what I found was the more you research, the more info you have, the more confusing it becomes. I was one of those who were skeptic with using agents as they were known to be expensive. I attempted to do it myself but then I realised it wasn't as straight forward as my student visa which I applied myself when I first came to Australia. Luckily, I found an agent in Sydney who only charged $1,000. It definitely changed my perception on agents and found the value of having one which eventually  led me to pursuing further postgraduate studies in Australian migration law and practice to be qualified to provide advice and I promised myself from day one into my course that once I start my practice, I will keep my fees reasonable as I know how it's like to be on the other end. 

So yes, that's very true, be careful of those who will try to sell you into their services. Make sure you check out their registration number and search it on the MARA website for a background check. You will know and feel anyway if the agency sees you as just a number to add to their monthly profit or if the agent will literally hold your hand and pleased to be part of your journey. 

Btw, I realised your from North West England so perhaps it's unlikely it's the London expo you're going to. Anyway, all the best and definitely, based from my personal experience, it's worth engaging an agent as it also gives you that peace of mind in the end :)