You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Gemsallen

Transferring money made from UK property sale - tax advice

Hi, been living in Australia for years and now dual bristish and Australian citizen. I’ve sold my UK property and wondered if anyone has done the same and how that effected their Australian tax return? Do you have to pay capacitor gains tax? How does it work? 

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

Have a chat with @Andrew from Vista Financial He will be able to help

• Like 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

1 hour ago, The Pom Queen said:

Have a chat with @Andrew from Vista Financial He will be able to help

Actually I think @Alan Collett from GM Tax might be a better bet. (Not that I don’t think Andy isn’t wonderful but it’s not really his area of expertise).

Edited by NicF
    • Like 2

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Dale Carnegie – 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

9 hours ago, Gemsallen said:

Hi, been living in Australia for years and now dual bristish and Australian citizen. I’ve sold my UK property and wondered if anyone has done the same and how that effected their Australian tax return? Do you have to pay capacitor gains tax? How does it work? 

I think you mean capital gains tax not capacitor gains tax. A capital gain could have a big impact on your Australian tax return - but there are exemptions that will reduce it significantly or even extinguish it altogether. You don't pay CGT on your home for example - and that can continue for 6 years after you stop living there. The gain is cut in half if you've held the asset for more than a year. You don't pay any CGT on gains that were made before you became liable to Australian Tax (i.e. the base would be the value of the property when you moved to Australia permanently not what you paid for it). Once the taxable capital gain is worked out after all these adjustment it's added to the rest of your income for the year and that's the amount you pay tax on (there's no separate CGT payment as such).

• Like 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia)

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 13:41, Gemsallen said:

You may have to pay CGT (Capital Gains Tax) but only if there is a gain of course.

Whether there is a gain or not will depend broadly on the value of the property when you became Australian resident in Aussie Dollars (ie exchange rate at that date) against the value of the sale again in Aussie Dollars on that date.

If there is a gain as Ken says above there then may be exemptions so that it is mitigated or even extinguished altogether.

Have you also considered the UK side of things.....................capital gains tax was introduced on residential property for non UK residents from (I think) April 2015.

I recommend that you seek UK and Australian Tax advice to discuss any gains that may apply to you and what potential exemptions may apply if a capital gain does exist.

Regards

Andy

Director - Vista Financial Services - Financial Advisor for Poms in Oz - UK Pension Transfers / Financial Advice

Andrew@vistafs.com.au FPA Member, Adv Dip FP www.vistafs.com.au Ph: 08 8381 7177

Yes, as Andy says, since 06/04/2015 there's been a CGT position in the UK to consider as well as (possibly) in Australia - including the obligation to lodge a Non Resident CGT Return with HM Revenue within 30 days of the sale completing, whether or not you have any CGT to pay.

Late lodgment of the NRCGT return can open you up to late filing penalties.

Best regards.

Managing Director, Go Matilda Visas and Tax - www.gomatilda.com

Registered Migration Agent Number 0102534

T - 023 81 66 11 55 (UK) or 03 9935 2929 (Australia)

E - alan.collett@gomatilda.com

Hi Gemma.

Private message sent to you.

Best regards.

On 13/01/2018 at 15:49, NicF said:

Actually I think @Alan Collett from GM Tax might be a better bet. (Not that I don’t think Andy isn’t wonderful but it’s not really his area of expertise).

Alan is no longer working as Go Matilda Tax hence I recommended a financial advisor who could pass him to someone more knowledgeable.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Alan is still a registered tax agent and is very able to provide tax advice to those that require it.

As indeed are my former colleagues at GM Tax.

Best regards.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Cerberus1
        The Courier Mail is reporting that the Australian Tax Office (ATO) will be analyzing the records of up to twenty million migrants (past and present) to ensure they are not ripping off Australians and are paying their fare share of tax.
        The financial and personal details of visa holders who have come and gone from Australia will be audited over the next three years to enforce income tax and superannuation requirements.
        The massive blowtorch, which includes migration agents who help get migrants to Australia, also aims to identify potential fraudsters rorting foreign investment rules.
        While the ATO has put migrants in the crosshairs previously, it has not been at this mammoth scale.
        It comes as the ATO is launching a targeted and well-resourced crackdown on the black economy, which benefits some workers but duds Australia of revenue.
        The latest information sweep is extensive and will include the address history visa applicants and their sponsors; all their arrivals and departures in Australia and details of their education provider if they are on a student visa.
        A spokeswoman for Revenue Minister Kelly O’Dwyer said the operation could recoup cash for the taxpayer and ensure eligible migrants receives their superannuation before they left the country.
        “The ATO has a responsibility to protect the public revenue and to maintain community confidence in the integrity of the tax system,’’ she said.
        “The data-matching program does this by detecting, dealing with and deterring those that are not meeting their obligations.
        “It also enables enforcement activity and recovery of taxation revenue – without undertaking this data matching program and subsequent compliance activity there are no assurances that a wider risk to revenue does not exist.
        “The data also supports the ATO to administer aspects of Australia’s foreign investment laws and reunite seasonal workers with their superannuation entitlements under the Labour Mobility Assistance Program.”
        The ATO said, “It is estimated that records of 20 million individuals will be obtained over the course of the three year period.
        “These records will be electronically matched with ATO data holdings to identify noncompliance with obligations under taxation and superannuation laws.
        “The objectives of this data matching program are to maintain currency of our knowledge of taxation and superannuation risks within the visa holders, visa sponsors and migration agents populations (and) test the accuracy and strengths of our existing risk detection models ... and identify areas for improvement in our models, treatment systems and practices.”
        Source: https://aumigforu.ms/2D1sKkm
      • By KPG
        Hello,
        If all goes well, then my family and I are planning to move to Adelaide in the month of Aug - Sept 2018 and have a few concerns / questions on money transfers.
        can one open a bank account from overseas, i.e. before arriving in Adelaide? If so then how do we go about it? (Money transfer from UAE, Qatar) any recommendations on banks? Some with low service charges etc? is the transferred money taxed? If so then what % Appreciate any other additional info that you may think is useful.

Thank you.

KPG
      • By RichC
        Hello i would appreciate some advice.
        My partner and i moved to QLD in February from the UK and we have permanent residency status (we love it)
        Annoyingly we moved out shortly after Brexit when the Pound had massively dropped in value so only brought enough money over to get started and get on the property ladder. I do feel as though the Pound will regain some of its former strength eventually but i wouldnt be surprised if it takes another 3 years or so 
        I have substantial savings just sat in a bank in the UK earning less than inflation and some stocks and shares held within ISA's which i can no longer contribute to and maximise as im no longer living in the UK, plus some rental properties.
        I have been waiting for a Bear market or at least a market correction (surely it must be coming soon !) to invest the money sat in the bank in three or four low cost unmanaged index trackers probably with Fidelity.co.uk (who i have my ISA's with) to capitalize on the cheap stock prices then hopefully enjoy the next rise in the markets by which time i am hoping the Pound will have gained some strength against the Dollar.
        At this point in the future i would hopefully be able to move some or all of the money over to OZ to use here or just invest in an Ozzy fund provider for future retirement.
        What im not sure on is the potential Tax implications on profits made on those shares and any issues regarding timing of moving money over to OZ.
        Im looking to make my savings and assets work for me but and be efficient as possible but dont want to fall foul to Tax Issues like being taxed in both countries  or paying more Tax than necessary.
        Thanks
        Richard  
      • By RichC
        Hello i would appreciate some advice.
        My partner and i moved to QLD in February from the UK and we have permanent residency status (we love it)
        Annoyingly we moved out shortly after Brexit when the Pound had massively dropped in value so only brought enough money over to get started and get on the property ladder. I do feel as though the Pound will regain some of its former strength eventually but i wouldnt be surprised if it takes another 3 years or so 
        I have substantial savings just sat in a bank in the UK earning less than inflation and some stocks and shares held within ISA's which i can no longer contribute to and maximise as im no longer living in the UK, plus some rental properties.
        I have been waiting for a Bear market or at least a market correction (surely it must be coming soon !) to invest the money sat in the bank in three or four low cost unmanaged index trackers probably with Fidelity.co.uk (who i have my ISA's with) to capitalize on the cheap stock prices then hopefully enjoy the next rise in the markets by which time i am hoping the Pound will have gained some strength against the Dollar.
        At this point in the future i would hopefully be able to move some or all of the money over to OZ to use here or just invest in an Ozzy fund provider for future retirement.
        What im not sure on is the potential Tax implications on profits made on those shares and any issues regarding timing of moving money over to OZ.
        Im looking to make my savings and assets work for me but and be efficient as possible but dont want to fall foul to Tax Issues like being taxed in both countries  or paying more Tax than necessary.

I dont know if anyone has been in a similar situation but all advice is welcome.

Thanks
        Richard  
      • By markp
        Hi Everyone. We’re buying an invistment property in Queensland which we’ll negatively gear. My wife is an Australian citizen; I’m a permanent resident. Does anyone know if there are any tax disadvantages to my ownership of the property (as a PR Brit) versus hers (as an AU citizen)? 
        Thanks.
        Mark