Find work on the Gold Coast...

aconcannon

Hi there

Curious if anybody has moved to the Gold Coast & had problems finding work??

I’m a marketing / website / social media manager but I’m happy to do admin, my hubby is a CNC machinist / fitter turner & we’re moving from Sydney in a few months.

Everyone we speak to in Sydney said not to move until we secure jobs as the work situation is shocking - not sure how true that is though?? When we emigrated 2.5 years ago we both secured jobs within the first month in Sydney so I’m hoping it’ll be similar when we move...although I’m not too sure based on other people’s comments?!

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I don't think it's easy to get a job there so I wouldn't move until at least one of you has a job lined up. A lot of people commute from the Gold Coast to Brisbane for work because opportunities on the coast are very limited. 

Have a look at online job sites to get a bit of an idea. 

Sydney is a big city of over 4 million people.  The Gold Coast population is around half a million and it's mainly tourist businesses and retirees. 

A lot of people on the Gold Coast commute to Brisbane for work - but even then, consider that Brisbane's population is under 2 million, i.e. less than half that of Sydney.  Also the fact that most large companies have their major offices in Sydney and Melbourne, not Brisbane.  

So in summary, there's less than half as many potential employers in the Brisbane/Gold Coast area, so you should expect it to be more than doubly difficult to get work.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Sydney is a big city of over 4 million people.  The Gold Coast population is around half a million and it's mainly tourist businesses and retirees. 

A lot of people on the Gold Coast commute to Brisbane for work - but even then, consider that Brisbane's population is under 2 million, i.e. less than half that of Sydney.  Also the fact that most large companies have their major offices in Sydney and Melbourne, not Brisbane.  

So in summary, there's less than half as many potential employers in the Brisbane/Gold Coast area, so you should expect it to be more than doubly difficult to get work.  

Second this.  And, though people do it, commuting from The Gold Coast to Brisbane is no picnic.

One of the reasons we’re moving to the Gold Coast is to try & knock on the head the commuting that we do in Sydney. Commuting to Brissy definitely isn’t something we want to do...I think if it came to that we’d have to look at living in Brissy. Having looked on Seek / Indeed there seems to always be a couple of jobs going in my hubbys trade but I do worry I’ll struggle myself

21 minutes ago, aconcannon said:

One of the reasons we’re moving to the Gold Coast is to try & knock on the head the commuting that we do in Sydney. Commuting to Brissy definitely isn’t something we want to do...I think if it came to that we’d have to look at living in Brissy. Having looked on Seek / Indeed there seems to always be a couple of jobs going in my hubbys trade but I do worry I’ll struggle myself

So, are you committed to Queensland?  If not, have you considered somewhere like Newcastle?  It would be easy for your oh to go for interviews etc without having to move first, and there are some lovely areas around Newcastle which are an easy commute.  Sydney people think of Newcastle as being working-class and boring, but it has changed a LOT.  Don't judge by the city centre which is still rather bland - there are some nice suburbs with cafes and restaurants, plus of course a great beach, and places like Port Stephens and the wineries on your doorstep.  You could possibly work for a Sydney firm from home, with a once or twice a week commute down to the office - I know a few people who have done that. 

Edited by Marisawright