Managing dog crates at Heathrow

Nijallo

My departure date of 1 March is starting to feel like not too far away at all! Today, JetPets delivered the two crates for my dogs - a Cavalier and a Cavoodle. The crates are massive! I’m just wondering how others have managed at the other end.

My plan is to hire a car on arrival, drive to the Animal Clearance Centre and wait until the dogs are ready. They fly in about four hours before me so in theory it should work well. I’ll have two large cases in the car plus hand luggage. Dogs can both sit on the front seat or wherever they can squeeze in but will the crates fit in a car? The JetPets rep said the bolts can be removed that hold the top to the bottom which would help. The crates are P60 size.

Also, as I’ll be on my own, will they hold on to the dogs while I get the crates to the car? My parents are much too elderly to drive to Heathrow and my sister is in Somerset so too much of a trek and she’ll be working that day.

I can hire a large car, probably an estate, but interested in what others have done.

Thanks as always for your wise advice [emoji2]

At the reception centre - ARC I am sure they will keep hold of the crates for you while you take the dogs to the car and come back for them. They are very helpful. Another option if you aren't going to use them is just leave them there. We brought ours home and still have it clogging up space

A estate car or even a van might be an option

• Like 1

We had a similar problem when we came back in August.  Some car hire companies don’t allow you to carry dogs, although saying that I know people who have ignored this.

We had our own car which we collected the day before the dogs arrived, our dogs left Adelaide the same day as us, but we had them kennelled overnight in Dubai, then as they arrived in Heathrow in the afternoon we had them kennelled overnight at the ARC.  In August the Animal Reception Centre was taking 9 hours to clear customs, it was a really busy place, my advice would be to check this out as there isn’t much to do in that area.

As for the dog travel crates we were asked on collection of the dogs if we wanted our crates - what we did was to unscrewed the plastic clips so the crates were in two halves and stacked the 4 sections (2 crates), so they only took the space up of one crate.  We have a large estate car.  I have 2 miniature poodles and they were in PP70 size.  

• Like 2

We had a similar problem when we came back in August.  Some car hire companies don’t allow you to carry dogs, although saying that I know people who have ignored this.
 We had our own car which we collected the day before the dogs arrived, our dogs left Adelaide the same day as us, but we had them kennelled overnight in Dubai, then as they arrived in Heathrow in the afternoon we had them kennelled overnight at the ARC.  In August the Animal Reception Centre was taking 9 hours to clear customs, it was a really busy place, my advice would be to check this out as there isn’t much to do in that area.

As for the dog travel crates we were asked on collection of the dogs if we wanted our crates - what we did was to unscrewed the plastic clips so the crates were in two halves and stacked the 4 sections (2 crates), so they only took the space up of one crate.  We have a large estate car.  I have 2 miniature poodles and they were in PP70 size.  

Thanks so much Redtop1, that’s very helpful advice. My problem has eased somewhat as my sister and partner are now travelling from Somerset to collect me and the dogs, and my daughter is borrowing a car and also coming from London to help out! I have been without family help for such a long time, I just assumed I’d sort it out on my own as I’ve been used to doing [emoji2]. What luxury to have some help!

With two cars and the crates dismantled as you suggest (mine will be in a PP50 and a PP60) I think we’ll manage the trip to Dorset. The wait at the ARC will be a bit tedious but manageable, especially with a family reunion going on [emoji4]. My dogs are scheduled to arrive about five hours ahead of me so that may reduce the waiting time a little, fingers crossed.

I have my TOR number now, removalists are booked, dog vaccinations done so pretty much on track. A million farewell events to get through which will be a bit of an emotional roller coaster and then the house settlement to get through as well.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Nijallo If you don’t mind me asking, how old is your Cavvy? We plan on returning to the Uk in Nov 2020(a while away but I’m sure it’ll go fast!) We will be bringing our little cavvy back with us and just wondered a few things like cost, jabs and anything else we may need to know? Thanks ?? 

8 hours ago, Nett said:

@Nijallo If you don’t mind me asking, how old is your Cavvy? We plan on returning to the Uk in Nov 2020(a while away but I’m sure it’ll go fast!) We will be bringing our little cavvy back with us and just wondered a few things like cost, jabs and anything else we may need to know? Thanks ?? 

Costs vary by the size of dog. Our little Chihuahua cost about $3000 in 2016. Jabs required are rabies and that needs to be done at least a month before flying. Luckily though there is no quarantine in the UK. It is a good idea to get the pet shipper involved at an early stage to coordinate flights as it isn't always the best way to have them on the same flight as you

[mention=255412]Nijallo[/mention] If you don’t mind me asking, how old is your Cavvy? We plan on returning to the Uk in Nov 2020(a while away but I’m sure it’ll go fast!) We will be bringing our little cavvy back with us and just wondered a few things like cost, jabs and anything else we may need to know? Thanks [emoji4][emoji190] 

Nett, My Cavvy is 2 years old and a largish male. His crate is a size bigger than my female Cavoodle’s (3 years old) as she’s a bit smaller and they also advise that short-nosed dogs should have more space for good air circulation. It’s been a simple process going through JetPets and they’ve worked hard to tailor the dogs’ flights around my own. They can’t be on my flight as my stop in Dubai is only two hours and they must have a minimum stop of six hours for health reasons. Mine will fly around 15 hours before me and after an 11 hour refreshment stop in Dubai will land at Heathrow about four hours ahead of me. With around an eight hour processing time at Heathrow, in theory we shouldn’t be waiting more than a few hours at most to pick them up. The package for both dogs, rabies and C5 jabs (they were nearly due so I got them done) and health checks, all the flights, crates, customs etc and 7 days in kennels before we fly (after house settlement when I move into a serviced apartment) the total cost was a shade under $6000. I’m quite nervous about how they will cope and will be very relieved when I see them at Heathrow!

One thing to note is the microchip must be international ISO standard and must be inserted (if not already) before the rabies jab. The vet checks all this though.

Good luck with your planning and you’re right, before you know it you’ll be on your way! [emoji190][emoji190][emoji4]

@nijallo Thank you so much for all the information you have provided, it helps so much! My boy is a little older and will be 9 when we actually leave, we were at the vets just a week ago and she seemed to think he should have no issues. He has a .5 heart murmur on a scale up to 6 so nothing to really worry about just yet. 

Enjoy the rest of your time here and let us know how you got on once settled. 

Nett :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...