Beachfront house mid-north Qld

Doc

Hi! We’ve been in oz for 2 and a half years and when we started out we thought we wanted to be close to Brisbane city. We own in the Gold Coast now and are happy close to the sea but the DWP GP jobs for myself are not very flexible. 

We have started to think about moving a bit more rural to get beach front and a bit  of a better working day. We want a beach town with surf club/ cafes etc to walk to (so not a really really quiet town). 

We were looking at bundy, Townsville or Mackay but open to other areas in qld or north nsw. I’m not keen on more humidity than Brisbane but my wife’s not bothered. 

We have a son starting prep and a 4 month old so it has to be good for kids too. 

Thanks! 

You talking absolute beachfront or just walkable distance?  Be prepared to be smashed with insurance costs outside the south-west corner as companies see cyclone zone and either refuse to cover you or put premiums ridiculously high; the nearer to the water you are, generally the worse it gets.

Humidity is going to be a major issue in the areas you are looking at if you really can't cope with it; here in Mackay currently it's about 34C but with a relative humidity of 70-80%.  It's the worst I ever remember.  However, you learn to adapt or just get on with it.  The flipside is that for about half the year the weather is absolutely gorgeous with endless sunny days around 24 C and no humidity at all.

There's going to be plus and minuses for all the areas you look at.  I have an 8 year old and a 5 yo who are happy at school and there are many sports clubs for yours to join.  While there is a surf club, there's not actually any surf - the barrier reef gets in the way.  Cafes, yes, but whether you find them walkable would depend on where you end up living.  If you are used to big-city living and want the same sort of things, regional qld probably won't supply them.  However, we aren't exactly in the middle of nowhere either, and providing you don't want a symphony orchestra and a Prada shop on your doorstep, regional areas may work for you.

Happy to answer any queries if you want to PM me

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are you willing to commute, Doc? Plenty of properties very close to, or on beach frontage, from Sarina Beach,  south of Mackay, to Seaforth, north of Mackay.

Both places mentioned are about a 40 minute commute to the city.

1 hour ago, Eera said:

If you are used to big-city living and want the same sort of things, regional qld probably won't supply them.  However, we aren't exactly in the middle of nowhere either, and providing you don't want a symphony orchestra and a Prada shop on your doorstep, regional areas may work for you.

Oh, I don't know, Seaforth has 2 "general" stores and a bowls club...Sarina Beach has 2 motels and a fuel station/fast food takeaway...

Cheers, Bobj.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bobj said:

Oh, I don't know, Seaforth has 2 "general" stores and a bowls club...Sarina Beach has 2 motels and a fuel station/fast food takeaway...

Sarina itself has a giant bronze toad equipped with wifi.  Dead hi-tech up this way...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Thanks!! Will have a look. Have you experienced them? 

I dont live there, a friend does and we have visited for short holidays etc quite a few times. Lots of people seem to live in Tannum and do the short drive into Gladstone for work. I prefer it to Bundy.

Cal x

Hi

Not sure if you're looking in all areas however we will be sadly vacating this month, to move inland for work,  a lovely very reasonably priced 2 bedroom, 1.5 bathroom double story town house in a lovely small complex at Woody Point (postcode 4019,Qld) on the Redcliffe Peninsular just north of Brisbane that is a block and and a half from the local long Sandy beach.  I've commuted into Brisbane easily, by car (around 45 mins or so), train too is great news, and now has two train line options and local busses to get you there too etc.  

The local lifestyle is amazing with shops, cafes etc. And from our place walks\cycles are amazing - just for beach views, walk or cycle left and walk or cycle up to around 12kms, or walk right for around 5.  In a car it's perfectly placed - around an have hour to 1) the Sunshine Coast 2) the Gold Coast or 3) the gorgeous mountains and hikes.  Plenty of local schools. Feel free to email me on stamples@ymail.com if you want more info on area or town house.

Edited by stamples
Forgot something