Buying a used car

SUPERSTARDJ01

14 minutes ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:

Hi,

When buying a used car do you buy from the city/town your in or further a field and get someone to ship it to you?

Thats very odd question, most people I imagine would buy a car locally. If it was a particularly rare car then perhaps you might buy from further afield. 

3 minutes ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:

Cairns used cars don't seem to be plentiful under $10k that's why I'm asking

Oh yes I understand, regional towns do tend to let's just say charge a premium lol. Do expect to pay quite a bit more for a used car in Australia anyway but away from major cities expect more on top again, often for very ordinary cars. To get value for money it might involve going further afield. 

We are Brisbane / Gold Coast and have mainly bought local but over the years have also bought a car from north qld and had it shipped down and one from Adelaide, which we flew down for and had a road trip bringing it back. Just add up the costs involved and do whats is best at the time.

Cal x

We are Brisbane / Gold Coast and have mainly bought local but over the years have also bought a car from north qld and had it shipped down and one from Adelaide, which we flew down for and had a road trip bringing it back. Just add up the costs involved and do whats is best at the time.
Cal x

How much was the shipping?

@SUPERSTARDJ01 We did a lot of research and found the majority of times, from our recent experience, second hand cars came in much cheaper here in Australia. I looked online and we visited quite a few dealers, around ten to twelve yards or thereabouts. Narrowed it down to one car, haggled and had them deliver to us (was only 40ish min journey however). 

Why not research first and then speak to the dealers about delivery? You could review online and take a focussed full day trip to the dealers in the big smoke in a hire car and ask about delivery or collecting it yourself. 

Edit just to say why don't you try a place called Motorama in Brisbane I'm not endorsing them nor did we buy from them but they have a huge variety of inexpensive and expensive cars and quite a few yards. Might be worth googling first. 2nd hand cars will most likely be cheaper in bigger cities I'm thinking due to all manner of factors including competition. All the best in your search! 

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

@SUPERSTARDJ01 We did a lot of research and found the majority of times, from our recent experience, second hand cars came in much cheaper here in Australia. I looked online and we visited quite a few dealers, around ten to twelve yards or thereabouts. Narrowed it down to one car, haggled and had them deliver to us (was only 40ish min journey however). 

Why not research first and then speak to the dealers about delivery? You could review online and take a focussed full day trip to the dealers in the big smoke in a hire car and ask about delivery or collecting it yourself. 

I must admit you are the first person I've ever heard say that, we always found s/h cars to be stupid money. 

• 2 weeks later...

Second hand cars do tend to hold there value a lot more in Australia but from experience the Aussies are pretty bloody anal about servicing and looking after there motors, most UK petrol cars are done at 150k miles diesels at 200k miles I knew no one who drove cars with that sort of mileage back in the UK besides the damp conditions trashed the body far before they could reach there potential.

You will pay more for a similar aged car out here but they are worth it if you know what you are looking for, and you will pay more if you are in WA I bought a car from interstate and had it shipped pretty simple process and I know plenty of people who bought interstate and collected it.

Second hand cars do tend to hold there value a lot more in Australia but from experience the Aussies are pretty bloody anal about servicing and looking after there motors, most UK petrol cars are done at 150k miles diesels at 200k miles I knew no one who drove cars with that sort of mileage back in the UK besides the damp conditions trashed the body far before they could reach there potential.
You will pay more for a similar aged car out here but they are worth it if you know what you are looking for, and you will pay more if you are in WA I bought a car from interstate and had it shipped pretty simple process and I know plenty of people who bought interstate and collected it.
You being serious? Most diesels have only broken in at 100k and should last to 500k and beyond if well cared for, modern petrols last longer than 150k as well.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:
22 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

You being serious? Most diesels have only broken in at 100k and should last to 500k and beyond if well cared for, modern petrols last longer than 150k as well.

Yes exactly right, things have changed considerably over the years, engines last forever and bodywork does not rust out like it did decades ago. 

9 hours ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:
On 12/27/2017 at 22:46, Sandgroper said:

They should unfortunately in the UK the damp conditions get to them, just compare cars on carsales.com.au against cars on autotrader in the UK, you just don't get anywhere near the same mileage out of UK cars.