Most Preferred Mobile Plan in Australia

Alex Zender

Hi Guys,
I have recently moved to Sydney with my family, its been just 4 months here but the only problem we are facing here is poor mobile network. Totally confused!!
I have no idea about which network to opt for :(  Any recommendations about the best and cheap networks with good coverage ?? 

Hi Alex

Telstra has the best coverage, followed by Optus, then Vodaphone. Unfortunately, costwise, generally speaking, it's also in that order Telstra most expensive etc.

Who are you with at the moment as I'm surprised you'd have mobile coverage problems in Sydney?

If you want the benefit of being on the Telstra network, but maybe a lower cost option, maybe look at some of the carriers who use the Telstra infrastructure.

Have a look at 

• Like 1

I'm with Vodafone, one of those people who stick with their provider/bank/insurance co, etc thru thick and thin. To be fair, I've had few complaints about coverage in Sydney with them, Since my last contract expired last year, I've not move to a new phone/contract and I've been paying $40 a month. The battery in my Sony is stuffed though and I might get a new phone today. I am determined not to commit to another $100 a month plus plan though.

I was looking at Optus last year when I thought I HAD to have the EPL which would have been $55 a month I think but then I changed my mind.

If I understood the plan right, Vodafone will give me a Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra 4G for $42.86 a month - $29 for the plan and $13.86 for the phone. Perhaps that phone has poor reviews though I think the reviewers have access to all the different phones whereas we only get one to compare to our previous one? My theory is that it would not matter if you put all the phones in a bag and I drew one out it would not matter too much.

7 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

If I understood the plan right, Vodafone will give me a Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra 4G for $42.86 a month - $29 for the plan and $13.86 for the phone. Perhaps that phone has poor reviews though I think the reviewers have access to all the different phones whereas we only get one to compare to our previous one? My theory is that it would not matter if you put all the phones in a bag and I drew one out it would not matter too much.

I used Vodafone and had an Xperia, it died after a year. The replacement died after 6 months. Bought a Samsung outright and a $20 plan as I hardly use any data on my phone. All I use it for is Google maps and public transport apps.

You can get a Samsung J series for around $120. Not the largest screen, not the best camera and you won't be the coolest kid on the block but equally no one will nick it.

There are only 3 networks in Australia at the moment, until TPG launch theirs. Vodafone, Optus and Telstra. If you're in Sydney, you should be getting good coverage, whichever network you're on. Vodafone's speeds and coverage are just as good as any other provider as reported in the news yesterday. 

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/revealed-the-fastest-telcos-and-cities-in-australia-for-broadband-20171108-gzhmyb.html

if you're phone is old, that may play a part in it. The ariels can get damaged if you drop them. Might be time to consider an upgrade. Get on eBay for second hand or go for a cheap $200 or so Android device - you'll get 90% of what you will with a new Galaxy phone for a fraction of the cost. And your signal strength may well improve. 

In sydney, I'd recommend Vodafone or one of their resellers - you'll get more data for your money. There are comparison sites which can help you get the most for your money. If you provide some idea of the amount of data you need, you can decide what provider is best for you. Optus have a bunch of Xmas offers on, for example, at the moment.

On 10/11/2017 at 19:34, ScottieGirl said:

I used Vodafone and had an Xperia, it died after a year. The replacement died after 6 months. Bought a Samsung outright and a $20 plan as I hardly use any data on my phone. All I use it for is Google maps and public transport apps.

You can get a Samsung J series for around $120. Not the largest screen, not the best camera and you won't be the coolest kid on the block but equally no one will nick it.

I bought a Moto X in Chatswood Westfield on Sat arvo after much dithering and back and forth between just about every supplier. Guy at Samsung suggested buying outright so I did at J & B Hifi. $799 plus 25 a month for 5GB from a Telstra connected supplier.

Sales guy actually recommended a 350 dollar model for my needs so he did not push me too much. Looking at the phone it looks like any other.  I could not Google reviews because my Sony was dead. When I did read the reviews after I'd bought it they were not as effusive as I'd have hoped. 

What still confuses me is doing the math to work out difference between buying outright or on a plan?

Use this phone as eg: 700 outright plus 25 a month over two years is 1300?

50 a month for two years is $1200 if I was on 50 a month plan. I know in the eg  I save 100. 

In Optus I found four phones I coukd have had for 65 a month over two years including EPL. 

Odd doing the opportunity cost or whatever you call it. $4000 on a two week cruise. What I spend at the pub and eating out. What others spend on fags, gambling, cars.

In a few weeks I won't care what it cost me!

On 10/11/2017 at 19:34, ScottieGirl said:

If you're not looking for a phone & just want a sim, go with Amaysim. They're the cheapest network I've found & only make you sign up to a 30 day plan. I pay $40 a month & get unlimited calls & texts within Australia AND to the UK, plus 9 other countries. I get 10gb of data too. They use the Optus network so signal is perfect! If you're looking to get a phone as part of your plan then I'd recommend going with Vodafone as they seem to give you a lot more for your money

• Like 1

Exactly as @Cerberus1 says. I have an Telstra work phone which has excellent coverage.

However, for personal use we pay $80 per month with Vodafone for two sim cards and that gives us 45gb data, unlimited domestic calls/texts and 1300 minutes of calls to the UK shared between the two of us. We do find black spots even in Sydney with Vodafone (sometimes inside malls etc) and when you go remote it loses signal far sooner than the Telstra phone. However, it is far cheaper then Telstra. I suppose the big issue in Australia is the size of the country/infrastructure in relation to the population must make cellular networks incredibly expensive to maintain. 

I'd second aconcannon, me and my husband have gone sim only with Amaysim - we were doing the same thing with giffgaff in the UK so suits us just fine. No complaints so far, though it has only been a week! We've got the $40 package too, so 10GB and unlimited international calls, etc. Only thing I would point out is that its $40 every 28 days (not monthly) and so just bear that in mind when comparing it with actual monthly deals.

• Like 3

On 12/11/2017 at 08:17, MARYROSE02 said:

I bought a Moto X in Chatswood Westfield on Sat arvo after much dithering and back and forth between just about every supplier. Guy at Samsung suggested buying outright so I did at J & B Hifi. $799 plus 25 a month for 5GB from a Telstra connected supplier.

Sales guy actually recommended a 350 dollar model for my needs so he did not push me too much. Looking at the phone it looks like any other.  I could not Google reviews because my Sony was dead. When I did read the reviews after I'd bought it they were not as effusive as I'd have hoped. 

What still confuses me is doing the math to work out difference between buying outright or on a plan?

Use this phone as eg: 700 outright plus 25 a month over two years is 1300?

50 a month for two years is $1200 if I was on 50 a month plan. I know in the eg  I save 100. 

In Optus I found four phones I coukd have had for 65 a month over two years including EPL. 

Odd doing the opportunity cost or whatever you call it. $4000 on a two week cruise. What I spend at the pub and eating out. What others spend on fags, gambling, cars.

In a few weeks I won't care what it cost me!

Someone did nick my Samsung Mini from the Royal Exhibition hotel where I was charging it. I think they even had it on the security camera - a tradie took it. It was a very basic phone too which I'd bought because the previous "good" phone had broken only six months into the contract

Perhaps I was too hasty buying my new phone, which I still have not (tried to) transfer the phone no from Vodafone to Belong.I was becoming frustrated with the phone running out of battery power and each repair place including Sony said I'd have to send it away for repair.

I imagine a lot of people buy phones which they don't actually need because of the lure of  "top of the range" and "latest model" like the ecstatic guys I saw in a photo waving their latest I phones (celebrating either a $1200 loan or a $100 and something a month plan? Then again I'm probably blowing on beer what I could use for one of those phones.

I don't play games or videos on my phone but I do take a lot of photos, plus internet and texting and actually been making some long phone calls using Whats App. I keep running out of space and then down loading my photos to the computer.

Sorry but Amaysim are not the cheapest.

Vaya https://www.vaya.net.au/ offer a price match promise so in theory, they have the best deals. (Vaya is actually owned by Amaysim so it’s all a bit of a nonsense)

In practice, they (Vaya) don’t match on introductory offers though so if you are going to go through the hassle of moving, you’re better off looking doing a quick comparison on a plan site : https://whatphone.com.au/sim-only-byo-plans/compare

Almost everything is unlimited calls and SMS now so you’re basically comparing network and data allowances.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
If you're not looking for a phone & just want a sim, go with Amaysim. They're the cheapest network I've found & only make you sign up to a 30 day plan. I pay $40 a month & get unlimited calls & texts within Australia AND to the UK, plus 9 other countries. I get 10gb of data too. They use the Optus network so signal is perfect! If you're looking to get a phone as part of your plan then I'd recommend going with Vodafone as they seem to give you a lot more for your money

Current Optus Sim only plan for $40 pm is Unlimited calls/Text in Oz and Unlimited Text/MMS to certain Countries, 300 International Minutes to certain countries and 15GB Data. This on a 12 month plan.