Three months in Sydney

Kurt

I've been in Sydney for almost three months now. Although I've been around to see a bit of the city, I haven't really done a lot of exploring as I was focusing to get a house and a job. In the meantime I spent the weekends seeing a different part of the city.

During my time here I've met other British who have come here with spouses/children. The two big issues I find with coming over alone is that there's no friends/family who will rush to you during an emergency and that if you have a bad day there's no one you can offload your pains to. On top of that, all of my friends and family are on the other side of the planet and I really miss them. I'm sure a couple of years from now, if I'm still here, I'll still be wondering if I did the right thing moving here. But the place feels right to me.

As for work, I was told that the IT market here is smaller than London's and as such I thought I can ruin my reputation very quickly if I fail the interview process in, say, 6-7 companies so I really took my time before I started looking, dusted off interview questions that may come up and doing coding exercises online. I've found work, but I'm not sure if I want to stay there long term; At the moment, I can't afford to get fired or quit as recruitment has began to die out for Christmas and New Year and I could stay out of work for about three months and I'd also like to take some time to establish a foot in the local market before I apply to companies I'd really like to work in. I think most software / IT markets in the world are the size of Sydney's, though, not that of London's.

Socially, I'm noticing everyone's busy with their own thing and haven't been able to meet many people/swap phone details, go out etc. Similarly with dating, I've gone on a few dates with a couple of women (in my age, and theirs, I shouldn't be calling them "girls", now, should I) but it didn't pan out. Same problems I had in London, but definitely I feel I can approach people a lot more easily here and the pace of life is noticeably slower.

All in all, it takes time. You have to work really hard at first before you can start enjoying life in Australia. It won't come to you soon after you land or in the first several months. At first there will be the excitement of the new environment but you must work hard to build a life you can enjoy long after the "honeymoon" phase has withered out.
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Kurt said:
I've been in Sydney for almost three months now. Although I've been around to see a bit of the city, I haven't really done a lot of exploring as I was focusing to get a house and a job. In the meantime I spent the weekends seeing a different part of the city.

During my time here I've met other British who have come here with spouses/children. The two big issues I find with coming over alone is that there's no friends/family who will rush to you during an emergency and that if you have a bad day there's no one you can offload your pains to. On top of that, all of my friends and family are on the other side of the planet and I really miss them. I'm sure a couple of years from now, if I'm still here, I'll still be wondering if I did the right thing moving here. But the place feels right to me.

As for work, I was told that the IT market here is smaller than London's and as such I thought I can ruin my reputation very quickly if I fail the interview process in, say, 6-7 companies so I really took my time before I started looking, dusted off interview questions that may come up and doing coding exercises online. I've found work, but I'm not sure if I want to stay there long term; At the moment, I can't afford to get fired or quit as recruitment has began to die out for Christmas and New Year and I could stay out of work for about three months and I'd also like to take some time to establish a foot in the local market before I apply to companies I'd really like to work in. I think most software / IT markets in the world are the size of Sydney's, though, not that of London's.

Socially, I'm noticing everyone's busy with their own thing and haven't been able to meet many people/swap phone details, go out etc. Similarly with dating, I've gone on a few dates with a couple of women (in my age, and theirs, I shouldn't be calling them "girls", now, should I) but it didn't pan out. Same problems I had in London, but definitely I feel I can approach people a lot more easily here and the pace of life is noticeably slower.

All in all, it takes time. You have to work really hard at first before you can start enjoying life in Australia. It won't come to you soon after you land or in the first several months. At first there will be the excitement of the new environment but you must work hard to build a life you can enjoy long after the "honeymoon" phase has withered out.

I've a European friend that found it very hard to 'break the ice' in Sydney when she arrived there a decade or so ago. Bush walking turned out to be her saviour, as met like minded people. Her experience on the dating scene was in her words 'diabolical' . But I think she'd agree not too dissimilar from London from that angle, but inferior compared to her European home experience where friendships with the opposite gender more easier conducted.

No one I know living in Sydney, has a particularly ' chilled out' life. Family life more akin to modern London, expensive but at least there is the sun.

Saying that I enjoy Sydney every time I visit. Love the hurley burley and street life not so apparent in Perth.

I chose Sydney for the opportunities in my field (which also exist in Melbourne) plus the good and stable weather and the beaches which I miss. I find it more relaxed than London although it's the least relaxed of Australian cities.

"Diabolical" would be my description of my trials in dating in London ? I think dating can wait, though, I'd like to make friends and getting out on the outdoors will be my saviour too by the looks of it. I've met people who are new to Australia and trying to break the ice but we're all at different stages in life (some are students and some others have come here with families so they haven't got much time).

At the moment I'm researching the market for private medical insurance and want to make good choices for my super fund investment and I don't seem to have much time to do either.

12 hours ago, Kurt said:

Slower pace of life in Sydney compared to London?!  I knew I should have gone to London first as "training" - practice driving on the North and South Circular roads and such like in the rush hour so the Sydney Harbour Bridge would be a breeze.

I did come from a Hants country bumpkin village with no traffic lights straight to the big Aussie smoke, Perth first before the shock of Sydney.

I know a few young guys who sound like you actually,  working in IT, head-hunted,  earning good money. I don't know they all hooked up together.  I know one whom I first met in a hostel, then a few years later he saw me in Trinity Bar.  I didn't recognise him.  Thru him I met his other mates and still see them in the Trinity. 

They all play sports come to think of it,  squash at a gym in Crown St, cricket, football, that's the stepping stones to wider networks.  

Pub trivia - there's anther way,  plenty of pubs do that in Surry Hills. I did it last night in Strawberry Hills. Do you get to go to pub on Friday night at work? Does not happen at my place but other workplaces it can be like Xmas Eve or NYE every Friday after work. 

If you follow a footbal club especially EPL you may find a pub where they ask meet up. Spurs meet at Surry Hills hotel for instance.

Try Meet Ups too for some social groups, just don't hang around with disaffected Pommies! Mind you,  I did that when I first came, and I was lonely on Sundays particularly. 

I've had to "push" myself to speak to people in my local pubs but it has paid off and there are two or three where I walk in and it's like "Cheers" - everybody knows your name. 

31 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Join one of the many surf clubs mate. Great social side to them abnd if you like sport and keeping fit then added bonus. Pretty cheap for a years membership, non profit so cheaper beer and food and they have gyms.

Great way to meet people and start feeling part of Aus.

That's a good idea. Never thought of that.  Mind you,  I'm a surf wimp. I used to go bush walking - great way to fill a weekend. Plenty of clubs around too, Sydney Bush Walkers for eg.

2 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I know a few young guys who sound like you actually,  working in IT, head-hunted,  earning good money. I don't know they all hooked up together.  I know one whom I first met in a hostel, then a few years later he saw me in Trinity Bar.  I didn't recognise him.  Thru him I met his other mates and still see them in the Trinity. 

I thought you were going to say "I didn't recognise him because after two years he looked 20 years older and he had to tell me who he is." ?

• Haha 1

He kept staring at me,  not nastily. When I first met him in the hostel that was his first night in OZ on a WHV. When I saw him in the Trinity he already had been sponsored to a 457, and now he is a citizen so he's done well.  Come to think of it   my trajectory was similar. WHV. two year later PR courtesy of amnesty for illegal immigrants not that I was illegal just inside the cut off date,  and citizen two years,later. 

After three months in OZ I'd finally got a job when I'd just about given up. at a computer Co in Neutral Bay, Data General (RIP). I was there at the start of the computer industry without realising it until I saw "Halt and Catch Fire".

On 09/11/2017 at 19:01, MARYROSE02 said:

He kept staring at me,  not nastily. When I first met him in the hostel that was his first night in OZ on a WHV. When I saw him in the Trinity he already had been sponsored to a 457, and now he is a citizen so he's done well.  Come to think of it   my trajectory was similar. WHV. two year later PR courtesy of amnesty for illegal immigrants not that I was illegal just inside the cut off date,  and citizen two years,later. 

After three months in OZ I'd finally got a job when I'd just about given up. at a computer Co in Neutral Bay, Data General (RIP). I was there at the start of the computer industry without realising it until I saw "Halt and Catch Fire".

Out of interest, have you been in Oz longer than I've been on the planet?

No matter, I'll answer that: most likely ?

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2017 at 21:10, Kurt said:

On 10/11/2017 at 21:10, Kurt said:

• 3 months later...
On 09/11/2017 at 00:10, Kurt said:

Very true...immigrating to another country is a bit of a shock to the system. It takes time to feel at home and build new social networks. 

In my experience Aussies are generally friendly but they don't usually invite people over. They're usually too wrapped up in their own busy world (work, commuting, partner, kids, house etc.). 

Try meetup.com and internations.org, join a hiking club or sports club. Find a bar/cafe/restaurant in your area that you like and go there regularly. You'll start noticing other regulars & could strike up a conversation (this has worked for me in Brisbane).

Make a list of things you'd like to see and do and try to do at least one thing every week. 

Dating can be fun but I wouldn't focus on it for now as it can severely limit your chances of making friends. Couples tend to spend a lot of time together which can limit your chances of building a netwok of your own first. 

• Like 1