Medication from UK to Oz?

gra001

Hi, I'm just starting a 6 month stay in Oz. Before departing the UK my GP explained that due to cutbacks in the NHS they are only allowed to provide prescriptions for three months medication (in my case for hypertension). However, if I apply online having been here for, say, 3 months the GP will provide a further prescription to cover the rest of the stay, my son can collect from the UK pharmacy and send to me. I'm aware there must be import restrictions on certain substances but does anybody know if this type of medication will be OK? Thanks.

Legally you need a licence to import prescription medications so they could be confiscated but unlikely they will get checked . Even if they did you can get a prescription in Aus. Hypertension meds are usually very cheap so I wouldn't worry about it. 

The other route to explore is to ask your GP for a private script then take it to a large chain like Boots and ask the cost. It may well be less than the cost of postage.