Cost of living vs wages in Sydney

Jmreevo

Hi guys just a quick note..had our 190 visa granted on 11th August [emoji16]we will be arriving in Sydney on 5th November staying with my sister in law in Ashfield inner west, initially as a base for our travels and untill we decide if were gonna settle or not. I'm a gas fitter and plumber in the UK and my fiancee is an optical dispenser (works in an opticians)...would anyone know the like wages combined we may achieve in Sydney with relation to renting etc....we are renting out our 3 bed semi in Liverpool and have a decent amount of money to get us started...any help appreciated [emoji106]

Sydney is a huge sprawling area.  Assuming you've got an idea of what you may be earning, use www.domain.com.au or https://www.realestate.com.au/ to look at costs in different suburbs.

Do you want 1 bed, 2 bed. inner city, outer suburbss? Near a train line or near a particularly road / route? Beach side, harbour side?  In the bush? 

Part of our decision on where to live, was to be near a train line and good public transport - we didn't want to be reliant on a car to do every single thing, although I know it doesn't bother most people.  We also wanted to be near-ish to relatives - so ended up in the next suburb up from them.  Makes the commute to the CBD, North Syd, Macquarie Park very easy, so not too concerned about work location at long as it's relatively sensibly located. 

• 3 weeks later...

With my hatred of commuting I'd always recommend moving as close to work as possible, depending upon where it is, what it costs. My last couple of jobs have been in Penrith and now Parramatta both of which I have come to like. If I'd just been starting out on my career I think I would/could have moved to either to get out of the commuting.

Penrith was worse being 55km from where I live in Surry Hills, not too bad if I got the Blue Mts train, 48 minutes but add on walking to and from the station, waiting 30 mins for the train in the evening, train times not matching my work start times, longer and more unpleasant trips on the suburban trains, all adding to the hassle. I could have got a decent place in Penrith, walking distance to work, saving two hours of wasted travelling, at least, and the fare to work,