Shipping Insurance Values

Nunu10

Hi everyone,

I know this question is a bit "how long is a piece of string" but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

We are shipping a 40ft container from Aus to UK with Chess (was going to be smaller but DH decided he wanted to take his boat!). I've read some of the insurance threads and looking to go with Letton Percivil for independent insurance, but how do you go about calculating he value of all your stuff?!?!

Obviously the bigger items that's easy, and as we are now having a 40ft container we will pretty much take the entire contents of our 4x2. I reckon the kids must have about $10k worth of Lego (well it feels like it!!) xD

Can anyone give me some ball park figures for general house contents? I guess I am imagining a total loss scenario! I have no idea where to start!!

thank you

edit - also just to add. Chess said that for the TOR form just estimate value of what you'd sell it all at a garage sale. Whereas insurance says cost of replace from new at destination. Does it matter if those two figures are different??

Edited by Nunu10

Guest The Pom Queen

If you have a look @Letton Percival it gives you the guidelines, hope it helps, they are also on the forum if you drop them a message.

There are a couple of basic principles to follow. Firstly, you must insure every item within your consignment, rather than select particular items that you wish to insure. You must then value your goods on the basis of their new replacement cost at destination.
There are some exceptions to this including garden furniture, domestic tools, garage items, and tools of trade, which should be valued at their second hand replacement cost, and not as new replacement cost. Antiques, Artwork and Vehicles should be valued at their market value cost and not as new replacement cost.

I agree with Pom Queen. Basically the TOR is just a list of what you own and are bringing over. We insured with LP on a 20ft container from Chess, including a Harley motorbike and it was around £450. Note that you cannot insure jewellery so take anything like that in your hand luggage. Also if you bring your boat Customs will state that you cannot sell it for a year or else you will have to pay the VAT that would have been due. I am saying this as this is what happened with our bike so I assume a boat will be the same. Also LP insure your belongings for up to 3 months after docking if they are going into storage. For furniture I would look at the cost of replacement over here because that is how claims are based. We had a claim and LP were fantastic and paid within 2 weeks.

When we did the list for LP insurance, I used Australian sites like the good guys, Harvey Norman etc to get an idea of replacement costs.  Then listed specific items over a certain value separately.  The form was quite clear and they are happy to advise.

It is actually a useful exercise and shows you the value of shipping!  Also good for when you get contents insurance later.

We had to claim as they damaged a TV and broke some candelabras, this was straightforward and the claim was settled quickly.

Thanks all, I did as suggested and as you said it was a really good exercise to see what it's all worth - so glad we are shipping it!! 

Submitted the ToR yesterday and it was approved in 4 hours!!!! So that's one less thing to sorry about :)