Skilled migration 189 Accountant - 65 points - advice required

Evel1184

Hi all

Quite new to this and need some advice on English test and points scoring etc

I have spent the summer pulling together all of the paperwork that I require for a subclass 189 Australian visa application and have just received my skills assessment back from CAANZ who have approved me under the Accountant (General) 221111 occupation classification.

Having received a suitable skills assessment response I looked at the next stage of the process which will be making the required expression of interest, however, I think I may be struggling to achieve the necessary points score of 75 appears to be what I would need in order to invited under the occupation classification of Accountant (General).  

I am 35 years old (25 points), have 8-10 years of recent employment experience (15 points), have a degree of the recognised standard (15 points) but I appear to be struggling as I think I can only claim 10 points for my level of English.  I sat the academic IELTS back in July for the purpose of the skills assessment and the scores of

9.0 Listening
7.5 Reading
8.0 Writing
9.0 Speaking

were fine for the purpose of the skills assessment but don't seem to be enough for the points scoring requirement.

Is my understanding correct here that I need a better English test score or am I not interpreting things correctly?
If I do need a better English test score, then I am now in a quandary as to what the next best step would be and this is where I'd appreciate some guidance.

Achieving a better points score from attaining a grading of Superior English on the English language test rather than a grading of Proficient English seems like the only solution that I have available to me.  However, if this is the case I am at a loss as to what test I would need to sit?

Do I need to sit a certain test because I am applying for a skilled migration visa or for the purpose of the points requirement can I do any of the tests?  I.e. Is it possible for me to sit the standard level IELTS test rather than the academic level test?  Or could I even do the PTE which I have been told is easier?

Furthermore, will it cause me any problems if my skills assessment was done on the basis of one test where the level achieved was less than required for the level of Superior English grading and I submit a separate successful test to support my Superior English grading?

Please help!

Yes, you can do the PTE or ILETS general for points and it is fairly common so doesn't cause any difficulty with the visa

Is there only one level of pte or is there a higher and lower level like there is for the ielts?

Having done the ielts academic and been half a mark off on the reading I'm tempted to do the ielts general if that is guaranteed to get me the points as I know the set up for ielts and feel really confident on the listening and speaking parts of that!

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

10 hours ago, suziemac59 said:

I was in the same position, I sat the ielts general and got the marks I needed to get the maximum points.

I would definitely try and get that score up as it doesn't look like people with below 75 will be getting an invite anytime soon.

Good luck

Thanks Suziemac - really appreciate your advice here especially as you have been in the same position.

Were you asked any questions at all about your skills assessment having one English test grading on it and you providing another English test to prove you could have the 20 points for the Superior English?

PS - assume you now have your visa? :)

Thanks Suziemac - really appreciate your advice here especially as you have been in the same position.
Were you asked any questions at all about your skills assessment having one English test grading on it and you providing another English test to prove you could have the 20 points for the Superior English?
PS - assume you now have your visa? [emoji4]

I'm still waiting for my invite should have come through in the last round but for some reason no accountants were invited [emoji853]

I don't see there being an issue though as on my EOI I only have the general ielts info and the skills assessment outcome doesn't mention ielts just the education and work experience I have that's relevant. I got mine through CPA.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

I'm still waiting for my invite should have come through in the last round but for some reason no accountants were invited [emoji853]

I don't see there being an issue though as on my EOI I only have the general ielts info and the skills assessment outcome doesn't mention ielts just the education and work experience I have that's relevant. I got mine through CPA.

When did you submit your eoi suziemac?
Interesting that they didn't invite any accountants in last round - hope that changes for you soon!
My skills assessment paperwork does refer to the academic level ielts results but I guess as long as I have proved that I have achieved an allowable level 8 on the general test, hopefully that will be enough.
Do keep me posted on your invitation progress as I'm keen to know how you get on being in a similar situation to me right now.
Thanks again for your responses btw! :)

• Like 1

When did you submit your eoi suziemac?
Interesting that they didn't invite any accountants in last round - hope that changes for you soon!
My skills assessment paperwork does refer to the academic level ielts results but I guess as long as I have proved that I have achieved an allowable level 8 on the general test, hopefully that will be enough.
Do keep me posted on your invitation progress as I'm keen to know how you get on being in a similar situation to me right now.
Thanks again for your responses btw! [emoji4]

I submitted my EOI on the 25th August