Childcare costs

TeacherClem

Hi! We are going to be moving to Australia in the New Year, we have a 4 year old and a 1 year old so we will need childcare for them while we're at work. I'm just wondering what kind of cost we are looking at for two kids in childcare? At the moment we pay £39 a day for each child at a private day nursery. Is it a similar amount in Australia?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

What area are you moving to? That could perhaps make a difference cost wise also. 

Also, if you will be eligible to claim the rebate, that can make a huge difference. 

As a rough guide, I paid $85 per day for long day care (commercial nursery), and currently $7.50 an hour for family day care.  I'm not eligible for child care benefit as it's means tested, but I get 50% child care rebate up to $7500 per year per child, then I pay full fee (tends to kick in about mid-May and last until the end of financial year)and you have to meet certain requirements for either work hours or study.  There's some changes going to be put in place with the rebate within the next couple of years.

After school care is $25 for a three hour session including pick-up from school, the scheme I will be going to is also eligible for CCB/CCR, but some aren't.  The amount you will end up paying is largely dependent on the pressure in your area.  I know someone in Sydney who pays nearly $150 per day!