When arriving in the last term...

B1K3R

Hi :)

We have successfully enrolled our daughter to start Year 7 at a College starting the first term in Jan 2018.

However, we will be arriving in mid October this year and I am wondering what people do in these cases?! Do you home school your kids for 2 months or so (since end of term 4 is in Dec)? Or maybe enroll her (if possible) for the last part of the term in a primary school?!

We would not like to do the latter for 2 reasons....1st the costs of uniforms/books for just 2 months, and 2nd we dont want our daughter to feel a bit unsettled as we are already taking her out of the current school soon and that means should would have changed 3 schools in a few months.

Thanks!

Cheers

Edited by B1K3R

I totally get where you are coming from with this.  We arrived in mid September and I decided to enrol my children into school as soon as they were over the jet lag.   Reasons being that they would make friends and it would help them to settle easier, especially as the October school holidays were looming.   Best thing we did as 26 years later, the friends they made then are still very present in their lives.   It doesn't matter about the academic stuff initially, as that will just happen along the way, but making your children's new life positive and happy from the start will go a long way to how well they adapt to life in another country.   Will only help family issues as a whole.

• Like 1

I'd enrol for the last term, she will meet new people for the holiday period. Schools usually have a code rather than a uniform per se and they understand about the short term nature of her placement so dress shouldn't be too much of an issue. It'll be practice for making new friends in a foreign country and she might learn some new strategies to help her cope with year 7. It'll relieve the boredom and theoretically (although no one will check up on you) save you the hassle of registering as a home schooler and preparation of curriculum materials etc.  The term is going to be largely festive anyway so just look on it as free(ish) babysitting. 

Thanks for your feedback! :) Good points too. We will inquire with a few schools and see what they say.

In reality, we will not be new to the place as we lived there before for 8 months and will reconnect with people we had met there. Will contact the primary school our daughter had attended back then and we'll see what they'll say.

Cheers & thanks!

My daughter is hoping to teach in Australia, hence me looking on here for information for her.  I was googling schools in Sydney (along with crocodiles and spiders!) and came across an ebook on Amazon which is very funny about moving to Australia.  "Kelly Bags & Crocodiles:  the diary of a displaced housewife."  My daughter is hoping to teach primary children in NSW but it's not looking very hopeful at the moment, as teaching at junior level is no longer on the skills list.  I find the schools system to be a bit complicated - or perhaps that's just me!