Australian Citizenship

Satin Storm

Hi there,

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes for an application for Australian Citizenship to be processed or even received?   I posted my forms off about 4 weeks ago and haven't heard anything since, there hasn't been any money taken out of my account, so i'm wondering whether my envelope has gone missing.  I tried phoning the department of immigration today but was told I was number 39 in the queue so I hung up fairly rapidly!

I dont know how long to leave it until I try again.  Probably best to do these things online at least it cant get lost!

Thanks

39 is probably a short queue.  Try them 1st thing in the morning.

I think it depends on where you apply from.  I know in Perth, that there is a big backlog, 6 months to be notified of a date for your test which could be another 6 months away.  My cousin's family applied Oct 2016, got notified about their test in May 2017 which will be in November 2017 and then it may be another few months to their ceremony.

I'll try phoning first thing in the morning.  I'd have thought my application would have been received by now.  I just dont know how long I should wait until I reapply via the online process.  Although I just googled new legislation on citizenship after reading Parleys comment and found this ...

The Committee is due to report on the Bill on 4 September 2017.Pending the Bill passing Parliament, we understand that Immigration has put processing of citizenship applications lodged on or after 20 April 2017 on hold.

Just my luck!  I applied for citizenship last year and it got knocked back because I used my German doctor to sign off my forms, she wasn't an Australian Citizen!! 

Feel like Im jinxed!

Im in Melbourne BTW, not sure if that makes a difference.