189 visa teacher and Ielts

Sjt13

Ok, so we discussing emigration to oz.  I have a decent chance at a 189 visa I am a maths teacher secondary school and head of maths as of September. So have decent amount of experience have also taught in Australia on a working holiday visa in 2001-2002. So here's the catch if we do emmigrate my husband would want to be the main worker-(and I would prefer that too). He is not on the skills list as he would want to  work in the water industry. He is however on there as he is a qualified plasterer (but no longer wants to do this job).  Would it be ok to get in with my qualification and then when we get out there(if we get through all the jargon etc..). He looks for work( I will only work if necessary). We have 2 young boys who will need  looking after and no family networks. But when they are both in school I will be ok to work.  Also do i need to do a Ielts test I have 75 points without it.  

thanks for reading my post any advice is very much appreciated.  Sjt13

Edited by Sjt13
  • Like 1

If your OH isn't on the skills list it won't matter. You will be the primary applicant and your family will be on your application. Once a 189 is granted you can all work as you like regardless of the occupation you applied under. 

IELTS or similar is worth doing as it'll bump up your points score and future proof you against perils like turning 40 (as I'm about to) 

I'm using an agent (because I'm a lazy git) and would advise you to give a MARA registered agent a ring or email. Most of them will give you free advice.

best of luck from a fellow teacher!

I did something similar. I was previously an English Teacher but retrained and now work as a barrister. To apply as a lawyer, one needs to complete some transitional training so I would not have been able to appy for a 189 visa for another year (there are numerous other considerations but this is a very brief summary).

As a result, I applied for a skills assessment as a teacher but will practise as a barrister.

There is no need to work in the industry or profession that you apply as; it is simply a means to access the visa.