Toowoomba

Tina2

Ozzie, a "toowoomba" south bank is coming.  I have seen the plans for the railway park lands and it is amazing. Funding approved and work about to start on the old railway shed as part of stage one. Eventually they will excavate a large area for a swimming area.5986e44d2bd97_RailwayParklandsMasterPlan.thumb.png.8c1e62a143e6a01d9223452ef93bfe40.png

On 8/4/2017 at 13:20, Paul1Perth said:

I would stick with your first thoughts of Brisbane, sunshine or Gold Coast. Any of them would be good with kids and you will have plenty of things to do nearby. Toowoomba is still a small town removed from anything decent in my opinion. I've worked at Oakey a lot and stay in Toowoomba. When I've had to stay weekends as it's not worth coming back to Perth I stay at a hotel on the Gold Coast for the weekend rather than stay in Toowoomba bored. There may be good schools but what do the kids do other times? From what I've seen it's hang around on the streets.

Just interested Paul1Perth, what sort of things do you think we need in Toowoomba for kids ? Slot machine arcades ? Theme Parks ?  We have bowling allies, Rock climbing centres where kids can learn to climb rock walls,  inflatable world, golf courses, parks, aquatic center, ballets schools, every type of sport you can imagine including the new Highfields sports Complex that offers multiple sports fields and tennis courts http://www.tr.qld.gov.au/our-region/major-projects/environment-community/10397-highfields-sports-park. Lakes where kids can go fishing or enjoy water sports with their parents. Scouts offering kids 8 to 18 the opportunity to go camping, hiking, bush walking all sorts of activities, and that is just a few things on offer. Oh and lets not forget cadets.

44 minutes ago, Tina2 said:

Ozzie, a "toowoomba" south bank is coming.  I have seen the plans for the railway park lands and it is amazing. Funding approved and work about to start on the old railway shed as part of stage one. Eventually they will excavate a large area for a swimming area.5986e44d2bd97_RailwayParklandsMasterPlan.thumb.png.8c1e62a143e6a01d9223452ef93bfe40.png

Looks lovely... but work is in South Bank so Toowoomba is a no for us.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I  just submitted my Queensland state application for 489 visa and am to choose a regional area to live and work. we are family of 5 with 3 children 9 by the time the visa is approve a boy, 7 a girl and 3 a boy.

i have gone through some site and asked questions about getting a job and all i can say is mixed feelings, although my heart says Toowoomba because of its calm and easy pace of life and hubby said Sunshine coast.

Can anyone be sincere enough to help put me in a right part. can we easily get a job here?(retail, factory etc)it might not be white collar for now but something that can help settle bills and all.

We are not picky so we can work in any area although am an insurance agent/ customer service as well, my husband is a sales coordinator.

We are Africans and i doubt if Toowoomba weather will be an issue.

Finally which area can we be looking out for rent 3 bedroom apartment, good school, lower cost of living, low crime rate and above all friendly neighbors that can communicate with.

Thank you.

On Sunday, August 06, 2017 at 18:17, Tina2 said:

Just interested Paul1Perth, what sort of things do you think we need in Toowoomba for kids ? Slot machine arcades ? Theme Parks ?  We have bowling allies, Rock climbing centres where kids can learn to climb rock walls,  inflatable world, golf courses, parks, aquatic center, ballets schools, every type of sport you can imagine including the new Highfields sports Complex that offers multiple sports fields and tennis courts http://www.tr.qld.gov.au/our-region/major-projects/environment-community/10397-highfields-sports-park. Lakes where kids can go fishing or enjoy water sports with their parents. Scouts offering kids 8 to 18 the opportunity to go camping, hiking, bush walking all sorts of activities, and that is just a few things on offer. Oh and lets not forget cadets.

The aquatic centres Ok. Been there loads of times. Every day when I'm there usually. Didn't know they had rock climbing. I'll check it out if I go again.

I'll still be going to the sunny coast if I'm there over a weekend though.

2 hours ago, Mabelina said:

Hello everyone,

I  just submitted my Queensland state application for 489 visa and am to choose a regional area to live and work. we are family of 5 with 3 children 9 by the time the visa is approve a boy, 7 a girl and 3 a boy.

i have gone through some site and asked questions about getting a job and all i can say is mixed feelings, although my heart says Toowoomba because of its calm and easy pace of life and hubby said Sunshine coast.

Can anyone be sincere enough to help put me in a right part. can we easily get a job here?(retail, factory etc)it might not be white collar for now but something that can help settle bills and all.

We are not picky so we can work in any area although am an insurance agent/ customer service as well, my husband is a sales coordinator.

Finally which area can we be looking out for rent 3 bedroom apartment, good school, lower cost of living, low crime rate and above all friendly neighbors that can communicate with.

Thank you.

Hi

I would say Toowoomba is lovely however might be best to go initially where you can find work.

All the best!

3 hours ago, Mabelina said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you.

Toowoomba and the sunshine coast are worlds apart, i think it would be best for you to arrive and check out both places. You could also look into jobs in both areas to help you decide.

Realestate.com will give you a guide to rental costs and property prices in both areas. I am sure in either you could find what you are lookng for somewhere.

Cal x

2 hours ago, Skani said:

Their 489 visa requires them to live in a regional area - and Brisbane isn't.

Just been looking at the list of areas for a 489 and it includes the Logan area. Not far from Brisbane should be plenty of retail work around there for them. 

Applicable Regions

Excludes Greater Brisbane Area and the Gold Coast. Includes the following postcodes: 4124 to 4125, 4133, 4211, 4270 to 4272, 4275, 4280, 4285, 4287, 4307 to 4499, 4515, 4517 to 4519, 4522 to 4899. Here is a link to Aus Post that they can use to see where each post code is https://postcodes-australia.com/postcodes/4133  and use where is to see where the town is in relation to Brisbane. https://www.whereis.com/

• Like 1

Thank you all for your response  will look at sunshine coast as well and see what it will offer. 

The main thing is getting a job.

On The other hand hubby won't mind the construction work if it's readily available and the pay is good enough to pay bills .

I also won't mind talking a cert 3 on age care/ disability if their are jobs on that aspect  at list I have some home experience on that part talking care of my grandma.

All am saying is anyjob is OK by us not just retail ,we just need a decent life and at the same time have a job. 

I will appreciate more response. 

Thank you 

A TECHNOLOGICAL fortress designed to withstand fire, flood and catastrophic power loss is taking shape on Toowoomba's outskirts.

The Pulse Data Centre is a "highly resilient" facility, says project manager Peter Blunt, capable of storing government and corporate data while protecting it from theft, sabotage and natural disasters.

Windowless and built with 15cm-thick concrete walls, the centre will be able to keep running even if a fire breaks out and meets security specifications set by Australia's spy agency, ASIO.

These include digital surveillance, multi-factor authentication, traps and biometric measures.

TECH PARK: FKG's Dallas Hunter and Gary Gardner and Pulse DC general manager Peter Blunt at the first day of construction on the new Pulse Data Centre in Wellcamp, Toowoomba.TECH PARK: FKG's Dallas Hunter and Gary Gardner and Pulse DC general manager Peter Blunt at the first day of construction on the new Pulse Data Centre in Wellcamp, Toowoomba.Tom Gillespie

Mr Blunt detailed some of the $40-million project's features at a business breakfast hosted by the Toowoomba Chamber of Commerce yesterday.

He said the goal was to ensure the building was always operational, no matter the emergency.

"We will maintain the facility and make sure it never stops," he said of the FKG Group's building at Wellcamp.

"Each (section is) a concrete bunker and they're all two-hour fire rated, which means you can have a fire burning there for two hours and it won't move outside.

"The intention is you can have something go wrong anywhere in the facility and we can isolate that part of it.

"We might have to turn that particular part off, but the rest of the facility continues to operate."

FKG's Pulse Data Centre project manager Daniel Milne (left) and site manager Adam Hanrahan oversee progress of the build, Tuesday, August 22, 2017.FKG's Pulse Data Centre project manager Daniel Milne (left) and site manager Adam Hanrahan oversee progress of the build, Tuesday, August 22, 2017.Kevin Farmer

Mr Blunt said the anti-fire measures in Pulse required FKG to apply to the Queensland Fire and Emergency Service to implement new protocols.

"We have special bottled gas which discharges and it actually extinguishes the fire," he said.

Pulse DC, which is essentially three different data centres connected by one central security hub, could house hundreds of millions of dollars in servers and digital technology from companies in Toowoomba and across the nation.

Along with the existing security measures guaranteed to all clients, Mr Blunt said the building could be upgraded to meet special criteria, up to ASIO-T4 levels.

Pulse Data Centre concept art.Pulse Data Centre concept art.Contributed

"If a government department would need to store data, we can customise our data centre's security measures," he said.

"It's something we would do over and above what is usually required.

"The government has specific requirements about the types of locks, the thickness of the door, the construction of the concrete. It's a very prescriptive standard."

FORTRESS: An aerial view of the upcoming Pulse Data Centre, which is being built by FKG Group as a technological fortress in Toowoomba's western suburbs.FORTRESS: An aerial view of the upcoming Pulse Data Centre, which is being built by FKG Group as a technological fortress in Toowoomba's western suburbs.Contributed

Mr Blunt said the 4380sq m floor space was already filling up, with clients from Toowoomba and across Australia signing onto the first facility of its kind in regional Australia.

"Our demand comes from a whole variety of areas. Locally, it's been fantastic - local businesses have engaged with us," he said.

"There's been commitments from all the major players in town - all of them have committed to this facility, for various reasons.

"We're already getting some good responses out of Queensland-based businesses in Brisbane (and) we've had strong national and international interest for the facility."

The data centre is expected to be finished by mid-February, but it won't be opened for another month while independent experts run tests and experiment to check the facility's security, consistency and reliability.

Construction started in June.

Toowoomba Chronicle

• 1 month later...

Hi There's probably a lot more work up the Sunshine Coast but the cost of housing either renting or buying is a lot more expensive than Toowoomba because there's a lot of tourists and it's on the beach. Toowoomba is good but it's isolated, if you can't find work there you will have to travel a long way to get to other places. Happy Moving, hope it goes well 

Toowoomba "isolated" hum dont think the close to 200,000 people who live there think that. An hour to Warwick, 1 . 5 to Ipswich, 2 to Brisbane, and it has one of the lowest unemployment rates in Queensland., not to mention the "Many" large towns between Toowoomba and Brisbane, like Gatton, with its Uni, Plainlands that is expanding at an amazing rate, Laidley, to name a few.