Toowoomba

Tina2

for those who still consider Toowoomba  a hick country hole with nothing happening, I thought I would give you a little update. For those willing to look a little outside major capital cities this may be somewhere you would like to consider. . We have some of the best schools in Qld, and house prices much lower than the capital cities and grand central shopping centers 500 million dollar expansion is just about complete.

INTERACTIVE MAP: 15 projects transforming Ruthven 

RUTHVEN St is undergoing a rapid transformation with millions of dollars being spent across a myriad of projects in different industries.

From entertainment precincts at its northern end to lifestyle shopping and food destinations in the south, the Toowoomba street is being redeveloped and updated.

Capping its northern end is the $43 million Bunnings project which will employ about 180 staff and transform the historic site.

To the south there is The Intersection, a dedicated food precinct with 12 retailers where once stood the Marco Polo Chinese Restaurant.

RELATED: In case you missed it: 72 things coming to Toowoomba

It neighbours the Shell Express service station and complete the crossroads with Alderley St as a foodie haven.

Plans are also progressing with major accommodation centres including the Burke and Wills Hotel at the corner of Herries St, while developers push ahead with a number of other apartment precincts on Ruthven St.

The Chronicle has compiled a list of the projects, but let us know in the comments if we've missed any exciting developments.

SCROLL DOWN FOR INTERACTIVE MAP

1. Ruthven St streetscape

AFTER one year of works and construction, the northern end of Ruthven St has reopened which offers expanded parking and blends the business district in with the Toowoomba CBD.

Works included an upgrade of the storm water system, added centre parking and curb-side angle parking, and the installation of new street art.

2. City Hall

THE Toowoomba Regional Council's city amphitheatre upgrade is progressing, with further funds allocated in the 2017-18 budget this year.

The amphitheatre, tucked behind City Hall on Ruthven St, is expected to be completed this year.

The Intersection.The Intersection.Tom Gillespie

3. The Intersection

THE old Margo Polo Chinese Restaurant on Ruthven St is being redeveloped into a foodie destination as works progress on The Intersection, set to open later this year.

The major commercial project will host 12 big-name food outlets which will capture trade from the estimated 27,000 passing motorists each day.

4. The Shell

AFTER its closure earlier this year, the Shell Coles Express service station is expected to reopen this year with a host of new food outlets and upgraded store fit-out.

The $5 million precinct redevelopment will include Pump@123 when it opens in September.

South Central.South Central.

5. South Central

INITIAL works have started on the multi-level South Central precinct on Ruthven St as part of Toowoomba developer Barry Bernoth's ambition to offer something different to the city.

The seven-storey South Central precinct, while separate to the Bernoth Centre, will transform two blocks fronting the busy road in Toowoomba South.

6. Bernoth Centre

NEW and exciting retailers have joined the bulky goods retail complex at the Bernoth Centre which has undergone a modernised transformation.

A total of 11 separate buildings exist on the site.

7. Mills Precinct

PLANS for the wider Mills Precinct redevelopment herald one of the most ambitious transformation projects in Toowoomba.

The multi-million dollar project is tipped to include a high-rise apartment complex, food retailers and bulk-goods outlets.

8. The Railway Parklands

THE Toowoomba Regional Council is progressing with its plans to transform the Railway Goods Shed which shares partial frontage to Ruthven St.

With funds allocated in the latest council budget, early works are set to start and will eventually feed through to a sprawling parklands and create a go-to destination in Toowoomba.

9. Bunnings

WORKS are progressing on the $43 million Bunnings Warehouse in North Toowoomba, with the hardware behemoth hinting at an opening date later this year.

About 180 staff will work in the new store which will be the second Bunnings outlet in Toowoomba.

10. Burke and Wills

LOCAL construction firm McNab has secured the tender for the $10 million Burke and Wills Hotel redevelopment in a boon for Toowoomba sub-contractors.

While the hotel's transformation will see it modernised the foundations will stay true to the historic architectural roots and is part of the Ruthven St upgrade in the CBD.

11. The Gladstone Hotel

THE highly-anticipated multi-million dollar transformation of the Gladstone Hotel is yet to get under way but owner Kenneth Wagner has bold ambitions for the popular watering hole.

Walton Stores.Walton Stores.Contributed

12. Walton Stores

THE popular food precinct tucked off Ruthven St is a boon for diners and pedestrians in Toowoomba since its grand opening in 2016.

13. The Bank

SPOTTED Cow owner Phil Coorey knows a thing or two about what Toowoomba wants, and there's intense excitement around the future of his latest venture.

Mr Coorey's plans to transform the historic Westpac Bank on the corner of Ruthven and Margaret Sts are progressing, and the city is keen to see it come to fruition.

Blank Space.Blank Space.Kevin Farmer

14. Blank Space

IT'S the newest venue to open on Ruthven St and already proven as popular with social outings with industry meetings.

Enter Blank Space, the transformed Mills Precinct warehouse which has added a new venue to the Toowoomba CBD with the promise of big-name acts, and special occasions and functions.

15. Village Green

TOOWOOMBA'S Village Green is set to be refurbished as part of works to upgrade the Civic Precinct.

Toowoomba Chronicle

TOPICS:  BUSINESS TOOWOOMBA

• Like 2

Thanks Bob it really is and just 20 mins out of the CBD you can still get a house with 4 beds, 2 baths and 1/2 and acre for around $450,000 not many places that still offer that these days.  Nice to see you still on Poms. 

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

We are bang in the middle of Toowoomba and Ipswich and much prefer Toowoomba. It will be even better once the second range is complete. It's just a shame they don't have a regular train service to Brissy. The new shopping centre is lovely.

Hi Pom Queen, the train will come. are you around Gatton area ? ? Gee wish I had spare money an acre and a 4 bed house for $300,000. Read somewhere that plainlands is about to become a major town with 29,000 people . It will be like Brisbane and the GC. 20 years ago there was nothing between the 2. Then a few houses went in half way between at Ormeau, now look at it. Plainlands is 1/2 way between Toowoomba and Brisbane. Aldi is moving in and a Bunnings I think it was Gatton or Laidley. Once that happens, you can bet the train  will extend from Ipswich to Gatton, and then eventually to Toowoomba.

Cant wait for the new Parklands to happen in Toowoomba, going to be a small southbank type area. Have to admit though Toowoomba desperately needs a new hospital, the current one is like something out of WW2.

Guest The Pom Queen

We are heading out towards Esk on 40 acres. Plainlands is coming along in leaps and bounds, they are putting a new macccas in next to Porters and we have new stores to come on the opposite side as well. 

'Touch wood I haven't been to Toowoomba hospital yet, probably the only one I haven't lol, I've done Gatton, Esk, and Ipswich. I don't think much of Ipswich hospital saying that I don't think much of Ipswich although today we found a lovely park and cafe I think it was called College Recreation Park, I may be wrong. We buy all our dog meat from Toowoomba so come up weekly. It's a lot larger than I imagined and I still find somewhere new every time I come up.

we live 20 minuets west of Toowoomba and find new things happening every time we go in t the CBD ! ha ha happening SO fast. Had cateracts done last month and was sent to Springfield Lakes Mater, OMG like a 5 star hotel, room service when ever you want a drink or something to eat. Wall paper and carpets, plastic trollies so no noise and $20,000 beds and that is there PUBLIC section.

Where do you buy your dog food ? We get BARF from the pet cafe.

That would be the park at Colleges Crossing, Lovely Park.

I like Esk, real country village, go through that way a lot on the way to the north coast.

Sad people still make fun of Toowoomba, bet they have not been there recently. SO much work available, out at the airport, the by pass, Pulse Data Centre, and Wagners are building a milk processing plant to fly milk product to China once a week direct from the Wellcamp airport, which now has a 747 cargo plane flying direct from Wellcamp to China on a weekly basis. There are now direct flights to Melbourne, Sydney, Townsville, cairns and out west. Toowoomba Grammar has just added a huge extention and Toowoomba Christian College is doing the same, even Downlands are now taking kids from Gr 5 even as boarders, and Toowoomba Prep are now Prep to Gr 12, all due to demand from parents.

Guest The Pom Queen

I went there for an appointment once, it is the one with the oncology centre isn't it and Orion to the right of it? May have to try and go there in future at the minute I'm an in patient every 2 weeks in Brissy. We get our meat from Clifford Gardens butchers, Tony is a lovely guy. We buy between 60-100kg a week so get it for $1.50.

Have you heard about Costco taking over the old Masters site in Ipswich.

I didn't know much about Toowoomba airport. Do they fly to Mackay?

That's interesting. We are currently awaiting grant of a 189 visa and my wife (a radiographer) is already being tapped up by recruitment agencies for jobs in Toowoomba. Both of us quite fancy it. The hospital looks great and the prices of houses look good too. The climate also looks quite appealing.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

Hi Kev

Which hospital ? St Andrews ( Private) or Toowoomba Base ? ( Public) Look to be honest Toowoomba Base is old BUT plans are in place to build a new one, most likely out close to the Bailey Henderson Hosptial ( mental health) on the North side of Toowoomba. Having said that the staff are wonderful and do a great job . Toowoomba WAS a small country town that is not the case any more, it is growing rapidly but unilke many places still retains much of the charm of a large country town. You will still see some run down parts like the "mill" on the edge of town and the railway yards behind it, but the railway a beautiful old station has all been restored, the sheds are the next on the list and eventually that whole area will be park land, residential, shops etc. Prices are good, but rising. East Toowoomba is beautiful, lovely old houses and close to Queens Park, can be expencive though. If you want "rural" easy to find just 20 or so minuets out of town in places like Highfields. If you have Kids, you will find great schools. We love the climate, no humidity ! It does get cool in winter for about 6 weeks but even then most days are sunny around 16- 20 c. If you have any specific questions PM me happy to help.

• Like 2

Morning Pom Queen, sorry to hear you are in hospital so much that is not good. I got sent to the Mater at Springfield Lakes because I had been on the wait list for so long and under the new system if they cant fit you in where you live they send you to a private hospital so saw a Dr in Ipswich who due to distance put me in Mater over night. Amazing place. Yes that is where the new Cancer Centre is very close to Ipswich. Look it up on the internet.

100kg of meat a week ? are you feeding an army ?

Yes everyone was hoping Costco would come to Toowoomba but I guess they think people from both Toowoomba and Brisbane will go to Ipswich, not sure where it is going in though.

WellCamp is a very interesting story. The Wagner family who own a huge construction company were sick of having to transport goods to Brisbane to fly them to places and wanted to open the market to local business with China, so - he built his own airport. An international size runway and departure/ arrival terminal in 18 months ! Nothing to Mackay yet, but they are slowly adding places. The airport sits on a huge block of land and has been set up as a business park, so business can build there and fly goods in and out with out having to drive anywhere. RSPCA is the next to build a million dollar kennels, plus a boarding centre so people going on holiday can drop off there pets and 2 minuets down the road jump on a plane.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this TIna,

It's St Vincent's hospital my wife is being approached about. It certainly looks like a contrast from where she is at the moment. Toowoomba wasn't really on our radar but the more we look, the more we like. We have mates in Brisbane which is great but we don't want to live in their pockets, as it were so were initially looking at Gold and Sunshine coasts. We have two kids of early primary school age and I'm a teacher so it's good to hear that schools are good. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Too cold. Went to Toowoomba a couple of years ago with work ( yes I have been many times since) and there was a frost on the ground! We love Brisbane, a bit more going on and the weather is 90% perfect.

Toowoomba does have some amazing spots with great views however most of the lots have been snapped up or established houses sold with big price tags.

On 21/07/2017 at 15:00, Tina2 said:

Thanks Bob it really is and just 20 mins out of the CBD you can still get a house with 4 beds, 2 baths and 1/2 and acre for around $450,000 not many places that still offer that these days.  Nice to see you still on Poms. 

Where the K Mart is, on southside, was all fields and one could buy a 1 acre block for $2300 to $2800 in 1967.  Bugga !!! All that beaut red soil for gardening...

Cheers, Bobj.

SGR73 we lived in Graceville for many years - 2 train stops from Brisbane CBD and we would get thick fog and frost there in winter. Toowoomba doesnt get the awful humidity that Brisbane gets so we get a good nights sleep up here on the range.

Hi Bob, got my hands on a draft of the new Railway Parklands, going to be impressive, funding has been approved now for stage 1,  the restoration of the old railway shed opposite the station which I must say looks fantastic since it was all renovated. AAH yes lovely red soil the developers scrape off before building and then sell back to home owners ha ha . We are sadly on black soil yuk stuff.

• Like 1

SGR73 agree not much land left in the center of Toowoomba but plenty just a short drive of 20 minuets in places like Highfields, Meringandan West , and on the other side of town places like Westbrook where a whole new town is being developed. There is also Gowrie Mountain 20 minuets out of Toowoomba with amazing views land and houses available there at good prices.

Weather its all about what suits the individual isnt it. I think we have had at most 10 days where we have lite the fire at night this whole winter, days are beautiful, and we, prefer summers around high 20s to low 30s, I cant handle the humidity in Brisbane and the coast that's why we moved up here.

• Like 1

On Sunday, July 23, 2017 at 02:45, Kev147 said:

Thanks so much for this TIna,

It's St Vincent's hospital my wife is being approached about. It certainly looks like a contrast from where she is at the moment. Toowoomba wasn't really on our radar but the more we look, the more we like. We have mates in Brisbane which is great but we don't want to live in their pockets, as it were so were initially looking at Gold and Sunshine coasts. We have two kids of early primary school age and I'm a teacher so it's good to hear that schools are good. 

I would stick with your first thoughts of Brisbane, sunshine or Gold Coast. Any of them would be good with kids and you will have plenty of things to do nearby. Toowoomba is still a small town removed from anything decent in my opinion. I've worked at Oakey a lot and stay in Toowoomba. When I've had to stay weekends as it's not worth coming back to Perth I stay at a hotel on the Gold Coast for the weekend rather than stay in Toowoomba bored. There may be good schools but what do the kids do other times? From what I've seen it's hang around on the streets.

20 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

I would stick with your first thoughts of Brisbane, sunshine or Gold Coast. Any of them would be good with kids and you will have plenty of things to do nearby. Toowoomba is still a small town removed from anything decent in my opinion. I've worked at Oakey a lot and stay in Toowoomba. When I've had to stay weekends as it's not worth coming back to Perth I stay at a hotel on the Gold Coast for the weekend rather than stay in Toowoomba bored. There may be good schools but what do the kids do other times? From what I've seen it's hang around on the streets.

First time we went to Toowoomba it was closed :o(Sunday), next time was with some Kiwi rellies looking up family history around the graveyards seemed to be a bit more life about then.:laugh:

• Like 1

Compared to Perth Toowoomba is small, but by no means a small town

"Toowoomba is a city of Queensland. It is located on the 125 km west of Queensland state capital city, Brisbane. With population over 115,000, the city is the 16th-largest city in Australia and the sixth-largest in Queensland after Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Townsville and Cairns. Toowoomba is known as “The Garden City” in Australia."

"Based on our research Toowoomba population will reach 117,283 by the end of June 2017. We use end of June each year due to Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) always follow Australian financial year when pushed the data."

Agree though the coast has beaches, and theme parks and Brisbane is a capital city with houses prices to match.

I think it's a case of going where the work is for now as much as anything else. Wife had a successful interview on Tuesday for St Vincent's hospital and they're now looking for references. Dunno how that'll go with our 189 taking ages to process mind you! 

That was my thought as well. Go where ever there is work to start with, then take your time to look around and find a place you want to settle long term. There are far worse places than Toowoomba I can tell you, and it is easy to access Brisbane, Gold Coast and Sunshine coast all with in a 2 hour drive.

• Like 2

Absolutely stunning place. I just wish we could push it a bit closer to Brisbane South Bank so it was commutable. Can't have everything tho! :-)