Remaining Relative Visa

Kpnuts

If my daughter came into Australia on a Tourist Visa, could she apply for an on-shore Remaining Relative Visa and at the same time be granted a Bridging visa to remain beyond the tourist visa? Yes, I am aware of the lengthy wait etc but am trying to look at all options. She is 29 but has no skill on the current list. She would also need to work on the Bridging Visa if granted.

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

The visa is still available and yes, she could arrive on a tourist visa and get a bridging visa. But are you aware just how long the wait time is? Currently 56 years. She would need to show hardship in order to get permission to work and there is no guarantee. 

Then for her entire life, she would have only reciprocal health care - not full Medicare. No entitlement to any state benefits. No entitlement to education including for any children. Potentially no state pension. Lots of other issues. 

Then, add in that I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel this visa due to the processing times. When they did this to cat 5 last year, which was a skilled visa, those on bridging visas who had been in Oz a number of years suddenly had to leave

Her best bet would be to train as something that is likely to have longevity on the skills list. 

Moreover, to arrive on a tourist visa with no intention of being a tourist can get you on the next plane home.

On 19 July 2017 at 13:17, VERYSTORMY said:

The visa is still available and yes, she could arrive on a tourist visa and get a bridging visa. But are you aware just how long the wait time is? Currently 56 years. She would need to show hardship in order to get permission to work and there is no guarantee. 

Then for her entire life, she would have only reciprocal health care - not full Medicare. No entitlement to any state benefits. No entitlement to education including for any children. Potentially no state pension. Lots of other issues. 

Then, add in that I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel this visa due to the processing times. When they did this to cat 5 last year, which was a skilled visa, those on bridging visas who had been in Oz a number of years suddenly had to leave

Yes, I am aware of these factors but may offer a solution until she is in a position to change streams.

On 19 July 2017 at 16:22, Quoll said:

Her best bet would be to train as something that is likely to have longevity on the skills list. 

Moreover, to arrive on a tourist visa with no intention of being a tourist can get you on the next plane home.

The skills list keeps moving and has already cancelled areas that she is skilled in. I am also aware of the second point but is something that many do especially on aged CPV's.

If she is going to retrain, she would be better doing it in the UK as in Oz, she would have to pay international fees for any study and there may be severe restrictions on the ability to study - including be banned as outside of the visa. The bridging visa does not come with any work rights and to obtain any, she would need to show she was suffering undue hardship - that very depends on the case officer on the day deciding. Some will grant and some will refuse

Archived