Rent vs Salary

mrst2016

Hello. i was wondering if anybody can help regarding how much we will be allowed to rent a property for. I read somewhere your salary had to be 40 times the monthly rent! is this true? we are moving into queensland. we could pay 1-2 years in advance if necessary but wondered letting agents stance on how high a property you can rent. over in the uk it is quite strict.

also what sort of paperwork will we need to get in order to rent a property, as we don't have an australian credit file?

thank you 

Yeah, not sure what you are referring to.  Rents are generally market rates based on supply and demand in a particular area, nothing to do with your income.  A landlord/agent may want to see evidence that you are able to pay the rent in your application, this may be evidence of income or money in the bank.

The 40 x rule means your monthly rent must be less than 40 x your annual salary. So if you earn 80k a year  you can spend 2k a month on rent. Another way of looking is  a third of your take home pay. So if your take home is 6 k you can spend 2k on rent.  It is just a guideline but If you rent via an estate agent they will use this sort of calculation to assess your application.

Typically you have to provide a couple of months pay slips as evidence.

Alternatively you could pay the lease in advance if you don't have a job yet.

Edited by ScottieGirl
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

he 40 x rule means your monthly rent must be less than 40 x your annual salary.

Ah, I get it - had't heard of this before.  I think you have it backwards above but your following explanation covers it.  

Annual salary <= 40*monthly rent (eg 80k<=40*$2k) not $2k<=(40*80k)