Gas engineer in uk

Guy stockwell

Hi can anyone help

im a gas engineer for the past 10 years in the U.K. 

lm looking to apply to move to Australia 

but filling the eol form requires my skills do how do I get them recognised is Australia for me to have enough points to move any info any help would be grateful 

Hi and welcome to the forum. 

You are jumping the gun. 

Before you lodge an eoi, you have to have a positive skills assessment. If you look at the occupations list on border.gov.au, it will have the assessing authority next to the occupation. This will involve a range of things and may include both practical and theory tests. 

You also need to calculate your points based on the criteria on the web site. You need a minimum of 60 to apply. Many people find they need to claim points for English. In which case, it isn't enough to be from the UK, you would need to take an English exam such as ILETS and score sufficient for the points being claimed. 

This all needs to be done before you lodge an eoi. 

You need to be careful with points as over claiming a single point can lead to a refusal, loss of the fee (expensive) and even a ban from reapplying. 

• Like 1

Hi 

thanks for the reply it's much appreciated, 

i think my quals would come under gas fitter which is 60 Points but some how I believe I would need them to be converted to Australian quals but wonder if I can do that in the U.K. Or need to be in Australia before hand 

You need to do a skills assessment first for your visa, then you need to convert your qualifications once you have the visa, each state has a difference licencing board so look up the licencing board in whatever state you are going.  

6 hours ago, AJ said:

You need to do a skills assessment first for your visa, then you need to convert your qualifications once you have the visa, each state has a difference licencing board so look up the licencing board in whatever state you are going.  

Could you guide me in the right direction I just got told I need to fill in eoi form first but obviously not regards 

The first thing is lots of reading of the website www.border.gov.au and look at the 189 visa initially.

This will allow you to identify who the assessing authority is for your occupation.

One of the first things is you need to calculate your points. Australia use a points based system and you need a minimum of 60 to apply. Points are awarded for a range of things such as age, qualifications and experience and others. You need to do this carefully, as an over claim of points can mean a visa refusal - loss of fee and even a ban from reapplying. Many at this stage find they don't have enough points. So, the most common way of topping up points is to take English language exams such as ILETS.

Once you are satisfied you either have enough points or a strategy to get enough, you move onto the skills assessment.

A skills assessment will be a mix of supplying documentary evidence to the assessing body such as qualifications and proof of experience and then potentially (I think your occupation has to) do a practical and theory exam.

At the same time, if you need ILETS, then you can arrange it during this period.

Once you have a positive skills assessment and if needed ILETS, then you can lodge an EOI.

After you lodge an EOI, you wait for an invite and then apply and submit the documents required. The department may or may not ask for further documents such as form 80. If not, they will certainly ask for medicals and police checks. Once they do, you book your medical and request a police check.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Liam13 said:

Some good migration agents on the forum.. there is a lot of info to digest and the cost of a migration agent is well worth the peace of mind 

12 hours ago, Liam13 said:

Some good migration agents on the forum.. there is a lot of info to digest and the cost of a migration agent is well worth the peace of mind 

Maybe this could be the best option for me just choosing the correct one