can 461 holders be sponsored on 186?

Hi,

I am an NZ citizen and my partner (British citizen) is 2.5 years into a 461 visa looking towards permanent residency. We have lived in South Brisbane for the last 2 years with our 2 kids. 

His employer is happy to sponsor him for PR as he has worked for 2 years as an environmental consultant and it would open up the option of hiring others from abroad.  (The company have been advertising in Australia for skilled workers but had no joy).  We have tried to follow the boarders and immigration website but it gets a little confusing.  As this is the first time the company and my partner have done this I wanted to ask if we are heading down the right path so here is the question.

Can the employer apply for a 186 sponsored visa (direct stream) for someone holding a 461 (NZ family category) visa?  

Thanks in advance, any advice would be appreciated

2 hours ago, ibbelobbel said:

Hi,

I am an NZ citizen and my partner (British citizen) is 2.5 years into a 461 visa looking towards permanent residency. We have lived in South Brisbane for the last 2 years with our 2 kids. 

His employer is happy to sponsor him for PR as he has worked for 2 years as an environmental consultant and it would open up the option of hiring others from abroad.  (The company have been advertising in Australia for skilled workers but had no joy).  We have tried to follow the boarders and immigration website but it gets a little confusing.  As this is the first time the company and my partner have done this I wanted to ask if we are heading down the right path so here is the question.

Can the employer apply for a 186 sponsored visa (direct stream) for someone holding a 461 (NZ family category) visa?  

Thanks in advance, any advice would be appreciated

If you meet all the other requirements, yes.

Yes, as long as the company and employee meet the requirements.  If neither have done this before, it may be worthwhile to engage a migration agent as sponsorship isn't a straight-forward process and it's getting more difficult as DIBP is trying to tighten up the rules.