Permanent Residency Options

robbieray

Hi,

Just a question from me, although I sadly think I already know the answer. 

With the sweeping changes to the 457 Visa system and the introduction of a STSOL list with no opportunity of permanent residency, what options, if any, are there for someone on this Visa to obtain permanent residency? I find it unlikely that a lot of people will want to travel thousands of miles (particularly with kids, mortgages etc) to set themselves up, only to leave in 2+2 years. 

Moving to Australia has been a dream of mine since i was 16 - I spent two of my university summers in Australia and since graduating have spent several years building up relevant experience in order to gain employment however my area of expertise would fall under a STSOL occupation. I love Australia but the idea of moving over for a max of 2+2 years to then be forced to come home doesn't work for me. 

By the way, I understand the need for a system that treats all fairly and I mostly agree with the changes made in terms of experience requirements, more stringent checks and a culling of the list to remove occupations such as fast food worker that clearly do not belong - I just don't understand what feels like a random assortment of occupations that either allow you to stay or not. 

Am I missing something, or is it as simple as you do your time on a STSOL then go home?

If your employer wants you to stay then you can apply for a 186 visa to get PR even if your occupation is only on the short term list.

Or there is the 190 state sponsored option if your occupation is on the individual state required list.

If you're under 45 there are still good options. Over 45 much more tricky.

For example this is a link to the QSOL https://migration.qld.gov.au/skilled-occupation-lists/

Edited by NorthernLights

In the corporate and academic worlds it is very common for people to take an overseas assignment for a couple of years. Generally the company pays all the moving expenses and it's  a great way of experiencing life in another country without giving up your roots back home. A 457 is ideal for that situation.