NB things to do on activation visit/recce?

ABG

In about 7 weeks we'll be doing our activation visit to Melbourne, with a plan to make the permanent move in Q2 2018. We have two kids (3.5 and 5.5 years old) and will be in Melbourne for 2 weeks. What are the important things we should get done on this trip? Anything you wish you had done but didn't do?

Sent from a really tiny keyboard - pardon random autocorrects and fat-finger typos

the one thing we did was take a trip around a home make centre to cost up furniture / gadgets / household items to see what was worth taking or buying new. i wouldnt spend more than a morning or afternoon doing it though - after 3 hours i had lost the will to live!

other than that, just take a look around at the area, depending on your location there is plenty to do and see.

• Like 1

On 26/06/2017 at 03:46, ABG said:

In about 7 weeks we'll be doing our activation visit to Melbourne, with a plan to make the permanent move in Q2 2018. We have two kids (3.5 and 5.5 years old) and will be in Melbourne for 2 weeks. What are the important things we should get done on this trip? Anything you wish you had done but didn't do?

Sent from a really tiny keyboard - pardon random autocorrects and fat-finger typos

Go to an AFL match at the MCG.  

• Like 1

There isn't really much you can do I don't think. Not in terms of setting things up for a move. Just enjoy the holiday, remember not to look at it through a tourists eyes though. Keep your practical head on and take note of your surroundings as you pass through them. 

Be prepared for it to be a culture shock and perhaps once outside of the CBD and city suburbs that it is nothing like you imagined.

Your kids will probably have jet lag as will you so just go with the flow, don't stress and go sample local life. 

Perhaps wander into a few open viewings for rentals so you can get an idea of what they are about and what Aus properties are like (much bigger windows, often 2 living spaces, outside entertaining areas) so you get an idea of how they feel. Visit older and newer properties as new ones are very different to older style homes generally. Get used to the bedrooms for the kids probably not being close to the master bedroom and often at the front or down the side of a house. Some people find this an issue, others not. I for one like it and quite enjoy the kid rooms being away from ours. 

Thanks for all the replies.  Looking forward to the trip - just wish we had timed our initial application better so that our activation visit didn't have to be in the dead of winter! Hopefully going to get in an AFL game at MCG.  Checking out cost of furniture is a great tip, thanks.

Don't know about Melbourne in winter (usually a bit colder and wetter I think) but atm here where I live our days are averaging at 16-18C and sunshine. Its been glorious. Chilly morning, by 10am its warmed up and it stays lovely till about 4-5pm when the sun starts slowly setting. Evenings after that get chilly. I was out at footy last night and it dropped to 5C, then got less overnight. We've had some rain but not much so far. If it rains it usually isn't as cold and I find a good waterproof mac better then over anything too thick and warm. Perhaps pick up some macs for you all to bring if you don't have them already? I find them very expensive here (and not great quality for the price) and love my Mac in a Sac from the UK and ordered new ones a while back for us all :D 

In 7 weeks or so it'll be almost spring! 

Check the forecast (I usually go with two, BOM and Weather app wise) for Melbourne the day before you leave to adjust your packing if need be. Make sure to pack a few warm jumpers but also some lighter clothes too. Nothing too light or summery but give yourself some options if its a warmer winters day and have a tee or two good to go. 

ETA - There is an MCG tour which might be worth doing, though perhaps not with little ones. Also a game of footy can run to a few hours all up and be prepared for it to be cold or wet or both at the MCG. If taking kids you'd want to be undercover somehow probably then and make sure you wrap them up and take a blanket for your legs (we are season members and go to our AFL's teams home games and it can be cold, especially at the later afternoon and night games). Its normal to see blankets, rugs, cushions for cold seats, thermos flasks and more out at a game :D Kids who have no interest or awareness of the game could well be bored senseless. There are only 5 or so games in the regular season to play at the MCG from August so your options are limited. Of the draw and how the season is going so far this year, I'd be inclined to see either Collingwood v Geelong or Collingwood v Melbourne, or if still here, Richmond v St Kilda. I'd expect the game v Brisbane to be a bit one sided as Lions are bottom of the ladder with no sign of being able to get off of it, they play well but usually get well beaten. Mind you, weird season and who knows what might happen the rest of the year. 

• 2 months later...

Back from our recce and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't get to do as much sightseeing as I would have liked as the kids got gastro over the last 3 days when we were planning to do the city centre and Great Ocean Road. Did get into Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges though, plus plenty beach trips between St Kilda and Mordialloc. Also got to watch an AFL game (Melbourne v Brisbane) which was good fun - can see my kids enjoying playing footie and going to watch games. Just need to pick a team now. The worst part was leaving, would have much preferred just staying there!!!

• Like 1

Glad you enjoyed yourselves.

TBH the sightseeing is something you can save for once you are living here. Holidays, weekends away and all that. We keep doing those things and enjoy our mini breaks. 

2 hours ago, ABG said:

Back from our recce and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't get to do as much sightseeing as I would have liked as the kids got gastro over the last 3 days when we were planning to do the city centre and Great Ocean Road. Did get into Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges though, plus plenty beach trips between St Kilda and Mordialloc. Also got to watch an AFL game (Melbourne v Brisbane) which was good fun - can see my kids enjoying playing footie and going to watch games. Just need to pick a team now. The worst part was leaving, would have much preferred just staying there!!!

Good to see you had a good time ,exceot for the gastro, poor things. Don't worry about the sight seeing, you will have weekends to explore new places once you have moved here.

Cal x

• Like 1