visa 457 v 186

Johnnyboy

Hello,

I've already found a job in Oz and the company has already lodged the sponsorship, then we can apply for 457. I'll be 44 years old next year and I won't be able to apply for MLTSSL at the end of the current one (obviously, IF it's granted) because the new age threshold will be 45.

I can't find anything related to changes to 186 visa though as the age limit for that is 50, so I'd guess I'll be eligible (of course if the age limit won't be changed on that as well).

I'd guess I can go ahead with 186 after 2 years, if everything goes well and nothing changes in the meantime.

Or would be better to apply for 186 instead of 457 now if the employer agrees? The waiting time is only a few months difference between them.

Am I missing something here ?!

Thanks a lot in advance.

6 minutes ago, Raul Senise said:

One of the proposed changes for is to reduce the age to 45 for all subclass 186 applications (Direct Entry and TRT) from March 2018.

Can I ask if you have a link for those proposed changes, please? Thanks

Just found this:

From March 2018, for 186 and 187 applications:

Residency: The residence eligibility period will be extended from two to three years for Temporary Residence Transition stream applicants.

Work experience: At least three years’ relevant work experience.

Age: All applicants must be under the maximum age requirement of 45 at the time of application.

Depends on your experience, quals etc but if I was you I would get over ASAP on the 457 and then be looking for the company to nominate me right away for 186 direct entry. Cant just get a 186 our of nothing I dont think.

Might need a degree or certain number of years experience to be eligible. May need to grab a VETASSESS.

EDIT: From what I heard 186 is gooooone from March 2018 for most things, so have to get it sorted before then

Edited by Muttley