Returning to the UK as a carer for an elderly friend

Jay Cee

Hello, I'm also just beginning to ponder the possibility of returning home to England after 33 years here in Australia. ( Yes, England still does feel like home.) However life has presented me with some major challenges which may make the move impossible although I desperately hope not. I'm in my late 50's but my health is not so good, I have been on disability support for a few years because of widespread osteoarthritis and don't have any assets to transfer ( Don't ask - sometimes life doesn't go to plan is all I can say. ) My main reason for wanting to return home is that all of my family and closest friends are in the UK ( apart from my 28 year old true-blue Aussie son who has flown the coop and rarely makes contact - he's doing fine - a success. ) 

I have been back to the UK 4 times and felt at home as soon as I stepped off the plane and have returned to Australia each time with sense of sadness and regret.  I can't handle the summers here and I live a reclusive and lonely life in North Qld. I have thought about moving to a temperate area here, but would still be isolated from everyone I hold dear, so it seems logical to look at returning home. It would be wonderful to be part of my family again. Accommodation will be taken care of one way or another but I am really concerned about the transition period - getting back on my feet as it were.

Can anyone suggest where I can get current information about whether I would be eligible for any financial assistance to begin with? Would I be entitled to a carers allowance of some kind if I were looking after an elderly friend who would otherwise need to be in a nursing home? I am the sole beneficiary of his will and will eventually inherit his house - in fact he has told me that if I were to return home he would transfer ownership to me anyway.  I would love to be able to show my gratitude by helping him to remain in his home in his last years. I have not paid NI since 1984 and my chances of regular employment are slim. It may just be an unrealistic dream but I have to consider every option before giving up hope. I have noted from this forum that I could afford to bring my possessions and furniture which is reassuring. Where can I find up to date information and advice? I am not even sure of the legal situation regarding transfer of property to me and how this might affect my status. Theres a lot to sort out. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

• Like 2

Hi Jay Cee and welcome to PIO.

Anyone returning to the UK and needing to access the benefit system is required to satisfy the ‘habitual residence test’. The following links provide more information about the HRT and the range of welfare benefits, including Carer’s Allowance.

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/coming-from-abroad-and-claiming-benefits-the-habitual-residence-test/british-and-irish-citizens-claiming-benefits/

www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Depending on your friend’s future social care needs, transferring his property to you or anyone else could potentially cause issues and you may want to check out the information provided by Age UK - www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/care-homes/deprivation-of-assets-in-the-means-test-for-care-home-provision/

Hope this helps, and good luck with your plans. T x

• Like 2

...........just to wish you luck...!

.........tea4too has covered practicalities ,I say go where your heart is....

..........I go back and forth as family commitments in more than one country....

..........and age ime is no barrier for moving....

...........people will of changed,but family and true friends will always make a place for you ime....

...........all the best......Xxx

• Like 1