Officially sold our home...now starting to panic!

Fosh

Hi Everyone,

It's been a bit of a whirlwind week, we had our 2nd little boy last week and sold our home yesterday! They would like to move in within 4-6 weeks!! We are negotiating for 8 weeks. Off the back of this I have a few questions in hoping you can all help me with:

1) Is August a good time to make a move? I'm hoping we can stay with family for 8 weeks and leave in early October, would this be better?

2) when you sold your home, when did you ship your belongings? I'm worried about it falling through last minute ect did anyone put any conditions in around the sale when emigrating?

3) tips for moving with a toddler and baby? We are breaking up the flight and going to Hong Kong for 5 days then onto Melbourne for 2 weeks to see my husband's family before finally getting to Brisbane! I'd prefer to settle the kids into Brisbane straight away but my husband's family haven't met our latest addition so it's a must that we go to Melbourne first.

4) tips to keep us sane along the way? I feel so nervous, looking forward to our new adventure was just sooner than we planned!

Thank you x

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app

It's  a big move, unless you have school age children I don't think it matters when you go.

Shippers are used to last minute hiccups, its like a domestic move in that respect. Plan the move day as you would a domestic move. The big difference is you won't see your stuff for another 3 months so you need short term accommodation arranged.

Good luck!

• Like 1

August in Queensland should be pleasant despite it being still officially winter, then spring starts in September. I don't suppose it matters when you come. Perhaps the extra few months would see you settle in better before Xmas comes around, a possible time for feeling homesick and lonely, not that it affects everybody that way.

Try and get to know some people using your hobbies, interests, sports, voluntary work, join some clubs, enrol for any kind of class that interests you. Try to take an interest in the local news via newspapers, radio and TV. I imagine it could be isolating if you are at home with young kids whilst your partner is at work. Try to find a place to live where you can walk to the shops and/or with bus/train nearby. You could probably find newspapers and radio on line for the area you are moving to.

• Like 1

@Fosh do you have a rental or bought property lined up in Brisbane to move your belongings into?  How much are you shipping e.g. full container or groupage? I only ask as its good to try to coordinate the arrival date of your belongings with your move in date on your new home. If you are spending 8 weeks with family in the UK before you fly out, then another three weeks in HK and Melb - your belongings would likely have arrived in Aus (if sole container) before you.  And it could take you some time to find out where you want to live and secure a place there.

In terms of travelling, we emigrated with a three month old, a 2.5YO and a 4YO.  The baby should be a dream - they sleep so much and are very happy to be with their mummas. The toddler could be a bit trickier and will likely want to walk around the cabin of the plane.  We wrapped up lots of little gifts for ours to open on the flight (we flew direct from London to Melbourne without a stopover) like crayons, travel etch-a-sketches, books, stickers etc.  They had their own special kids headphones to watch movies and play games on the inflight entertainment and a leap-pad with some games.  It was a long flight, my husband and I didn't sleep but it was totally manageable.  We thought it was going to be horrendous and had really low expectations but our children were real troopers and we all arrived with big smiles.  ~Plan for the worst and you'll be pleasantly surprised! xD

HK is fab - you'll have a great time there!  A lot of the malls have special baby-rooms with sofas for feeding, lovely clean changing areas and often soothing music - really family friendly.

When you get to Brisbane, try to get established with a little network as soon as you can as this will help massively when you are missing home and the isolation of being at home with the children all day - join playgroups, enrol your eldest in some toddler classes (kindergym, swimming, music etc) as you'll likely meet likeminded mums with kids the same age.  Join local groups on FB and classifieds.

Good luck with your exciting adventure!

Guest The Pom Queen

Congratulations on both your new arrival and the house sale, wow you are very brave and adventurous. I hope everything works out.

• 6 months later...