Moving to Brisbane in September!

DukeNinja

Hi guys,

So I have accepted a job at the RBWH to start in September, and flights have been booked. The only thing left now is accommodation. I was intending on only having a week off between landing and starting work. Would that be adequate to sort out the essentials?

I would ideally like to be based close to the RBWH (at least initially), so I wanted to ask your opinions as to where you guys would choose to live if you were in my position. I will have a 3 month old baby in tow, so it would be good to be somewhere that my spouse can go out and explore safely.

Thanks!

DN

Hi 

A week should be okay if you are organised, but it may take a couple of days to get adjusted to the change in time zones, particularly if you have a little one that thinks it is day time when it should be sleeping. 

Living arrangements depend upon whether you want family home or apartment living. Wilston, Windsor, Ashgrove and Paddington are very nice. Slightly cheaper alternatives are  Alderley, Grange, Lutwyche.

Bowen Hills and Fortitude Valley are great if you are under 25 and out on the town! 

Would Air BnB it for a couple of weeks so that you can get a feel of the area you want to be in. Will you have parking at work? If not, RBWH is about a 15 min walk from Bowen Hills station. Wilston, Windsor and Alderley are all on the train line. 

Good luck

P

• Like 1

We moved to Adelaide and managed to do it in a week so it is possible. We arrived on a Sat night with husband starting work at the RAH on the Weds. We did mobile phone and car seats on the Sun, car registration and driving licences, bank and Medicare on the Mon, looked at houses on the Tues and Weds (without my husband), offered on a rental house on Thurs and enrolled in school on the Fri. The kids were a bit fed up by the end of it but at least then we were free to do a bit of sightseeing before they started school two weeks later.

We had arranged short term accommodation for the first 3 weeks but only needed it for 2 weeks in the end

Good luck

Hi Peachy and Yelverton, and thanks for taking the time to reply, it is very much appreciated. I'm thinking of Fortitude Valley, as this would give my spouse the option of easy access to the city. With regards to short term accommodation, I was looking at AIRBNB, mind you, it's not cheap! What did you guys do about shipping belongings over? Were looking at MoveCube for the big and bulky stuff, however we're a bit stumped about the baby stuff that we'll need upon arrival - travel cot/steriliser/baby mobile etc. Is there a way of getting these over at a reasonable cost?

Yelverton-would you mind listing what official stuff you had to do in that first week, ie Medicare/Tax Reference Number etc?

Thanks again guys.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk