Applying for the 820 partner visa

Mimi97

Hi all,

I do firstly want to apologise if these questions have already been answered, but I couldn't find any specific answers on the internet anywhere.

So, I am currently dating someone from the UK, and I live in Australia.

We were thinking of applying for the 820 partner visa. Now, I have absolutely no idea or very shallow knowledge of what these visas entitle.

Now, me and my boyfriend are currently just dating, but are thinking of getting married next year. Do we have to be engaged for us to apply for the 820 visa or we get married then apply for the visa? And can we apply for it whilst he is here on his tourist visa?

Also, do I need to sponsor him, because I am an Australian born? Because I'm only a student at the moment, and will be a student for the next few years to come, so I don't have any proper income. I study full time.

is it possible for him to sponsor himself?

Thank you in advance!! Every answer is appreciated :D

Hi all,
I do firstly want to apologise if these questions have already been answered, but I couldn't find any specific answers on the internet anywhere.
So, I am currently dating someone from the UK, and I live in Australia.
We were thinking of applying for the 820 partner visa. Now, I have absolutely no idea or very shallow knowledge of what these visas entitle.
Now, me and my boyfriend are currently just dating, but are thinking of getting married next year. Do we have to be engaged for us to apply for the 820 visa or we get married then apply for the visa? And can we apply for it whilst he is here on his tourist visa?
Also, do I need to sponsor him, because I am an Australian born? Because I'm only a student at the moment, and will be a student for the next few years to come, so I don't have any proper income. I study full time.
is it possible for him to sponsor himself?
Thank you in advance!! Every answer is appreciated [emoji3]

The 820 is for de facto relationships or married. So if you're in a de facto relationship, you have to live together sharing bills e.c.t for 12 months. I don't think they count time dating in that, just when your serious relationship starts. Sponsors are usually the partner, and have to be Australian citizens.
(I think)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, if you've been apart for the last 12 months or so, it's still possible to apply. You'd need to provide copies of phone bills, bank accounts, if you've shared finances or transferred money to one another, cards/mail sent between the two of you, that kind of thing. He can't sponsor himself, you'd need to sponsor him as the AU Citezan. I was told that a sponser needs to prove that they would be financially capable of supporting the other person if it came to it. I'd check this out with immigration for clarification. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Hi, if you've been apart for the last 12 months or so, it's still possible to apply. You'd need to provide copies of phone bills, bank accounts, if you've shared finances or transferred money to one another, cards/mail sent between the two of you, that kind of thing. He can't sponsor himself, you'd need to sponsor him as the AU Citezan. I was told that a sponser needs to prove that they would be financially capable of supporting the other person if it came to it. I'd check this out with immigration for clarification. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

Thank you so much!! :)

Sent using Poms in Oz mobile app
  • Like 1

The 820 is for de facto relationships or married. So if you're in a de facto relationship, you have to live together sharing bills e.c.t for 12 months. I don't think they count time dating in that, just when your serious relationship starts. Sponsors are usually the partner, and have to be Australian citizens.
(I think)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks heaps!! :)

They not count just dating. You'd need financial evidence for 12 months plus.  You have to sponsor him and demonstrate you're financially able to do so for at least two years, or if you had a Joint bank account (recommended anyway), showing savings.  Alternatively, if you're thinking of getting married, then apply for a prospective marriage visa instead, if it's seriously gonna happen next year. 

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/300-/Prospective-Marriage-visa-(subclass-300)-document-checklist

Edited by Beffers

To qualify for a partner visa applicants do not have to live together at all, but it is difficult to satisfy the minister that a relationship genuine if they have not lived together. There are strategies available to resolve this issue and related issues.

You will have to be the sponsor. The regulations about this are about to undergo considerable changes that, from what you have posted, would make it difficult for you to qualify.

May I suggest that, as soon as you can, you consult a registered migration agent for advice about developing a visa strategy?

To qualify for a partner visa applicants do not have to live together at all, but it is difficult to satisfy the minister that a relationship genuine if they have not lived together. There are strategies available to resolve this issue and related issues.
You will have to be the sponsor. The regulations about this are about to undergo considerable changes that, from what you have posted, would make it difficult for you to qualify.
May I suggest that, as soon as you can, you consult a registered migration agent for advice about developing a visa strategy?

I'm definitely thinking about contacting one. Thanks heaps for your advice! :)

They not count just dating. You'd need financial evidence for 12 months plus.  You have to sponsor him and demonstrate you're financially able to do so for at least two years, or if you had a Joint bank account (recommended anyway), showing savings.  Alternatively, if you're thinking of getting married, then apply for a prospective marriage visa instead, if it's seriously gonna happen next year. 

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/300-/Prospective-Marriage-visa-(subclass-300)-document-checklist

Thanks heaps! I'll look into it :)