Buying a house in Brisbane

Fosh

Hi everyone, 

When you bought a house in Brisbane, did you need a 10% deposit or 20% or more? 

Also, we are a young family with 2 young children looking for any ideas on nice safe areas with good schools if anyone has any suggestions that would be fab! We're going to rent first to get a good feel but advice would be good so we can rent first. We will both work in central brisbane, so we want to be a max 45 min commute with good train links ect or a nice car drive in without too much traffic? 

Thank you 

Edited by Fosh

Hi

Suggest that you see my comment on the other post re suburbs. Depends on budget, sort of housing you are after, type of schooling (private, state, religious - a lot of people go with private or religious here as reasonably cheap in comparison to uk), shops, seaside or more towards the mountains.  

You can buy with 10% deposit but you will need to pay indemnity insurance (but they can add this to the loan). Have a chat with a mortgage broker when you get over here. Definitely best to rent first. 

P

Guest The Pom Queen

There are a few members around Brisbane who I am sure will guide you in the right direction. We are in the Lockyer Valley because we prefer rural to city life. 

'In regards to mortgages, @Andrew from Vista Financial May have some ideas for you although I think he is too busy at the moment to be able to take on mortgage applications. 

'I do agree with @Peachy you need to rent before you buy. 

Thanks guys, last night we finally decided to settle on Melbourne. We know we would absolutely love Brisbane and Adelaide, but job wise for us there seems to be more choice. Also, we have family so it would help us initially. 

Thanks so much for all your help.

Guest The Pom Queen
5 minutes ago, Fosh said:

Thanks guys, last night we finally decided to settle on Melbourne. We know we would absolutely love Brisbane and Adelaide, but job wise for us there seems to be more choice. Also, we have family so it would help us initially. 

Thanks so much for all your help.

@Fosh where in Melbourne are you heading? 

19 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

@Fosh where in Melbourne are you heading? 

Victoria, we're just looking at areas as I'm concerned about commuting time ect. My husbands family live in central melbourne and in sunbury. We looked at Taylors lakes as commute time is 30 mins but not sure, my hubby doesn't have a clue on areas anymore being out of Australia for 10 years! 

Well my husband woke up this morning and said let's move to Brisbane! We're so confused guys, how do we decide? 

Melbourne has jobs but the commute is just too much

Brisbane were concerned about the flooding and jobs? 

Does anyone have advice? 

Thank you x

Can't help with the jobs but don't worry about flooding. Brisbane flood zones are well documented for when you wan't to buy a house and ther's been lots of flood mitigation since the last serious floods. The flood awareness map is her. Just type in the post code, street, house number of the area that you are looking at and you'll get a map showing the likelihood of flooding   http://floodinformation.brisbane.qld.gov.au/fio/