What to ship? Family of 4!!

Fosh

Hi everyone, 

I'm moving to australia next year with my Auzzy hubby who has been in the UK for 10 years. We will have 2 boys under 3 years also.

I'm wanting to know what's worth shipping, what is really expensive over in Australia  (my hubby is very clueless after 10 years!).

I've been told bed linen and towels are expensive? Are some electrical goods very expensive? Anything you wish you had of shipped and now regret not shipping? My toddler is adamant his thomas tank engine bed is going to be shipped so I'm taking the bed! Lol

Are cars worth taking? 

I looked online and it seems coscatto car seats aren't available for children in Australia and also they probably would be illegal? They are iso fix is this true? I looked online and nearly died when I saw the price to replace 2 childrens car seats!! 

Has anyone shipped any reclaimed wood furniture? I have 2 reclaimed wooden dining tables I'd like to bring. 

Any issues on retro items? I have a beaver double sweet machine that I love and will not leave! 

Thanks everyone in advance.

Re bedding and towels, good quality stuff is expensive here. Cheap stuff is cheap everywhere and can be bought here just as easily as in the UK. Keep in mind Next, John Lewis, Debenhams and other UK store now shop to Aus so it's easy to get stuff like that if you want it.

Car - depends on the car. 

Furniture - depends on you really. If you are getting a sole use container, may as well fill it. If looking to minimise and buy again here, do that. 

Car seats - Your UK ones will not be legal in Aus. Shop around Aus stores and sites and check the standards testing site for what ones rate highly etc here. 

https://www.childcarseats.com.au/

I'd post and ask about more in depth stuff on individual topics in the relevant forums and hopefully you can get more specific feedback. 

I've removed the duplicate thread in Household as it only needs one thread on the forum. I left this one as I t has a reply :) 

59 minutes ago, Fosh said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm moving to australia next year with my Auzzy hubby who has been in the UK for 10 years. We will have 2 boys under 3 years also.

I'm wanting to know what's worth shipping, what is really expensive over in Australia  (my hubby is very clueless after 10 years!).

I've been told bed linen and towels are expensive? Are some electrical goods very expensive? Anything you wish you had of shipped and now regret not shipping? My toddler is adamant his thomas tank engine bed is going to be shipped so I'm taking the bed! Lol

Are cars worth taking? 

I looked online and it seems coscatto car seats aren't available for children in Australia and also they probably would be illegal? They are iso fix is this true? I looked online and nearly died when I saw the price to replace 2 childrens car seats!! 

Has anyone shipped any reclaimed wood furniture? I have 2 reclaimed wooden dining tables I'd like to bring. 

Any issues on retro items? I have a beaver double sweet machine that I love and will not leave! 

Thanks everyone in advance.

We have found things are not a lot different in price, if you like primark, then here it's big W or Kmart, both great stores, we didn't ship any furniture over as we thought new beginnings new things we don't regret not bringing anything, but every one is different, I wish you and your family all the best, it's the best move we ever made x

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the responses it really helps.

Car is a 2015 landrover (I'm tempted to sell but unsure).

We are going with movecube and will buy a large container we are hoping to fit a large corner sofa, 2 beds (1 king 1 toddler bed), 3 mirrors all large, 5 ceiling lights and probably 3 boxes of toys and special books as well as 4 kitchen boxes, and 1 large living room box, a dining table and 6 chairs as well as 3 bar stools.... I'm wondering if it's really unrealistic as I write this to fit all that in the large move cube boxes haha!! 

Thanks for the links on the car seats I have 2 to buy! So that's helpful.

Kirsty I've had my visa since 2013 and I've been putting off the move!! Haha had 2 babies now and needed the help from my family as my husbands family in Australia are a little on the old side. I'm dreading the cost of childcare fees for a 3 year old and 1 year old!! 

Thank you so much for your help 

We would love to move to Perth or Queensland for the weather, but it's jobs we found hard to find! My husband is a business analyst and I'm a project manager and there wasn't many jobs compared to melbourne. So nice though! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, snifter said:

Re bedding and towels, good quality stuff is expensive here. Cheap stuff is cheap everywhere and can be bought here just as easily as in the UK. Keep in mind Next, John Lewis, Debenhams and other UK store now shop to Aus so it's easy to get stuff like that if you want it.

Car - depends on the car. 

Furniture - depends on you really. If you are getting a sole use container, may as well fill it. If looking to minimise and buy again here, do that. 

Car seats - Your UK ones will not be legal in Aus. Shop around Aus stores and sites and check the standards testing site for what ones rate highly etc here. 

https://www.childcarseats.com.au/

I'd post and ask about more in depth stuff on individual topics in the relevant forums and hopefully you can get more specific feedback. 

Hi Snifter, I just read one of your blogs about living in Adelaide, it was posted in 2015, has Adelaide changed much since then? Are you still enjoying it and have job prospects increased? 

Your toddler makes a good point .... some people underestimate the power of familiarity win making your new location feel like 'home'. For some people this doesn't matter at all and new stuff is much more exciting, but for others it is more important, particularly with kids. 

Another thing to factor into your decisions as well as the above and the cost implications is your appetite for shopping to replace anything. Again, this is down to your personal preferences, some people love shopping and having the freedom to pick all their new things to suit their new home, others the thought of having to research where to buy stuff, best prices etc. not to mention arranging deliveries and set up can seem like a really stressful idea to have to handle on top of everything else you'll have going on getting settled when you arrive.

When it comes to what you CAN'T take Australia are pretty hot on their restricted or prohibited items. There is some good info on what you can and can't take here http://www.agriculture.gov.au/travelling/moving-immigrating as well as how to prepare the items that are on the 'common items of bio security concern' list, which although allowed in are subject to additional scrutiny and possible treatment (e.g. if you import furniture that shows sign of woodworm). 

Hope that helps?

• Like 2

On 08/05/2017 at 1:54 PM, KirstyLP said:

Another thing to factor into your decisions as well as the above and the cost implications is your appetite for shopping to replace anything. Again, this is down to your personal preferences, some people love shopping and having the freedom to pick all their new things to suit their new home, others the thought of having to research where to buy stuff, best prices etc. not to mention arranging deliveries and set up can seem like a really stressful idea to have to handle on top of everything else you'll have going on getting settled when you arrive.

Also to add to the above, the pain in the hole that is getting rid of your stuff in Eng.  Whether it is dealing with idiots on Gumtree/ebay, humping the stuff down to the charity shop, garden sale - it can be tedious!

Thanks everyone, we are bringing the big ticket items like beds, sofa, dining table, some of the kids toys, mirrors, running machine?? Bedside tables, dining chairs, some kitchen stuff as it's dulait and expensive and I love it and cannot part!! 

I've started to slowly sell things that we won't be taking that we don't need so venturing into the garage and attic which has been fun so far and sold everything relatively easy!! Once we sell the house I will start selling the other home items we won't take. Our kitchen is fully integrated so that rules that one out! 

We are thinking of going with movecube, do you think all that would fit in a large one? Our sofa is a huge corner sofa, our bed is a king size dismantled bed, 1 x toddler bed, 4 x massive mirrors, 2 x kitchen box of items, 2 x boxes of toys, 1 x ottoman, 6 x dining chairs, 1 x dining table seats 8, 10 x boxes of clothes and general items, 5 ceiling lights we love, 2 x large lamps, running machine I don't know yet? Not sure it will all fit ?.

I've been told garden furniture and bbqs are cheap in auz, is this correct? 

Thanks guys 

Guest The Pom Queen
On 06/05/2017 at 11:01 PM, Fosh said:

Thanks everyone for the responses it really helps.

Car is a 2015 landrover (I'm tempted to sell but unsure).

We are going with movecube and will buy a large container we are hoping to fit a large corner sofa, 2 beds (1 king 1 toddler bed), 3 mirrors all large, 5 ceiling lights and probably 3 boxes of toys and special books as well as 4 kitchen boxes, and 1 large living room box, a dining table and 6 chairs as well as 3 bar stools.... I'm wondering if it's really unrealistic as I write this to fit all that in the large move cube boxes haha!! 

Thanks for the links on the car seats I have 2 to buy! So that's helpful.

Kirsty I've had my visa since 2013 and I've been putting off the move!! Haha had 2 babies now and needed the help from my family as my husbands family in Australia are a little on the old side. I'm dreading the cost of childcare fees for a 3 year old and 1 year old!! 

Thank you so much for your help 

In regards to the car have a chat with @Iron Chef he has a calculator in the shipping section which tells you if it is worth bringing.

Beds I probably wouldn't bother bringing unless you are attached to them. Our bedding is suppose to be different sizes but it's years since we made the move and I can't remember. 

When we moved we only brought 5 suitcases for the first few years we thought this was the best thing for us because our furniture wouldn't have gone in the new house, plus we didn't want to have to wait. However, we kept realising how much we had actually thrown away in the move which we had to go out and buy again. When we think of shipping we always remember the large items but it's also the small items, like pans, plates, kitchen equipment etc. 

For furniture to replace have a look at Harvey Norman and Good Guys for white goods.

7 minutes ago, Fosh said:

We are thinking of going with movecube, do you think all that would fit in a large one? Our sofa is a huge corner sofa, our bed is a king size dismantled bed, 1 x toddler bed, 4 x massive mirrors, 2 x kitchen box of items, 2 x boxes of toys, 1 x ottoman, 6 x dining chairs, 1 x dining table seats 8, 10 x boxes of clothes and general items, 5 ceiling lights we love, 2 x large lamps, running machine I don't know yet? Not sure it will all fit ?.

I ran this list of items through our volume calculator and i'm pretty sure you'll have more than a large move cube (which holds about 220 cubic feet) so you'd probably need multiple, although the calculator is only a guestimate because the items come in so many different shapes and sizes. Best way to find out is to get a survey done by a removals company (should always be free and no obligation). If you have more but don't need your own container still then most companies offer shared container services so you'll have plenty of options. Hope that helps!

11 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

In regards to the car have a chat with @Iron Chef he has a calculator in the shipping section which tells you if it is worth bringing.

Beds I probably wouldn't bother bringing unless you are attached to them. Our bedding is suppose to be different sizes but it's years since we made the move and I can't remember. 

When we moved we only brought 5 suitcases for the first few years we thought this was the best thing for us because our furniture wouldn't have gone in the new house, plus we didn't want to have to wait. However, we kept realising how much we had actually thrown away in the move which we had to go out and buy again. When we think of shipping we always remember the large items but it's also the small items, like pans, plates, kitchen equipment etc. 

For furniture to replace have a look at Harvey Norman and Good Guys for white goods.

Thanks Pom queen! Really useful.

Yeah I read about the bed situation!! I think ours is classed as a queen bed in auz! It's brand new but been living in storage for a year so I deffo want to bring it, also my son is so attached to his toddler bed I just can't leave it as they don't sell them in auz it's a proper thomas the tank engine bed, I can also use it for my second little boy when my first grows out of it he's only 2 (due in 2 weeks with baby 2!). 

We have lots of new things in storage like le cruiset pans and pots so I'm going to make sure we bring them, we have dulait toaster/ kettle and food processor too which I know are crazy prices in auz so I will bring those. Our plates are ikea so won't bother with plates ect lol! Can buy them there. I was told containers and storage tubs are expensive? Is this true? 

Going to re buy all our bedding in auz and duvets ect. 

It's so difficult knowing what to bring, when you're not buying for a year ect. But all our home things are new (a year old) and lovely so I struggle to leave them as I'd still want them in our new home. Just hoping they fit haha x

12 minutes ago, KirstyLP said:

I ran this list of items through our volume calculator and i'm pretty sure you'll have more than a large move cube (which holds about 220 cubic feet) so you'd probably need multiple, although the calculator is only a guestimate because the items come in so many different shapes and sizes. Best way to find out is to get a survey done by a removals company (should always be free and no obligation). If you have more but don't need your own container still then most companies offer shared container services so you'll have plenty of options. Hope that helps!

Thanks so much for this it's really helpful! 

I will make sure I call for quotes. I'm worried about shared containers as I've been told things get stolen and smashed so it really put me off. I'd be tempted to pay for 2 secure move cubs in large worse case as I'm sure it would be the same cost and more secure? 

I can understand that concern, there are definitely some stories of bad experiences out there but hopefully these are the exception rather than the rule. I think this really comes down to the company you use and their processes. One thing to look out for to help make sure you only shortlist companies who have been pre-vetted for security is FIDI FAIM certification (and who only use FIDI FAIM agents at destination too). FIDI audits members to make sure their processes remove these sort of risks and that they don't have unacceptably high levels of insurance claims. 

With our shared containers for example the items are all collected from customers individually by our crews (with optional packing service) and loaded into a container at our depot. All the items are numbered and inventory produced for each customer at collection and you'll be provided a copy so things don't get mixed up or lost. The container is then sealed with a security seal and shipped, the only people who may access it during transport are Australian Customs (who will also open and look in your move cube) and then the whole container is collected, separated out by our crews at the other end and delivered back to you and checked off against the inventory. 

I don't personally know how the pricing works out for MoveCube so can't tell you if it would be the same sort of cost, so my tip would be to get a survey to check the volume and go from there. MoveCube suggest the average full 3 bed house would require 4 to 5 1/2 Large Move cubes ( know you're not taking a full house but you could work back from there) so once you know your actual volume you can work out how many you'd need and compare your costs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KirstyLP said:

I can understand that concern, there are definitely some stories of bad experiences out there but hopefully these are the exception rather than the rule. I think this really comes down to the company you use and their processes. One thing to look out for to help make sure you only shortlist companies who have been pre-vetted for security is FIDI FAIM certification (and who only use FIDI FAIM agents at destination too). FIDI audits members to make sure their processes remove these sort of risks and that they don't have unacceptably high levels of insurance claims. 

With our shared containers for example the items are all collected from customers individually by our crews (with optional packing service) and loaded into a container at our depot. All the items are numbered and inventory produced for each customer at collection and you'll be provided a copy so things don't get mixed up or lost. The container is then sealed with a security seal and shipped, the only people who may access it during transport are Australian Customs (who will also open and look in your move cube) and then the whole container is collected, separated out by our crews at the other end and delivered back to you and checked off against the inventory. 

I don't personally know how the pricing works out for MoveCube so can't tell you if it would be the same sort of cost, so my tip would be to get a survey to check the volume and go from there. MoveCube suggest the average full 3 bed house would require 4 to 5 1/2 Large Move cubes ( know you're not taking a full house but you could work back from there) so once you know your actual volume you can work out how many you'd need and compare your costs. 

Thank you your advice is very helpful. I'm going to start getting quotes in the next 2 months so I will take on all your advice and have a good look around. I have some valuable items that aren't replaceable so I want to make sure they are safe!