Aussie moving back to the UK

Tris007

Hi there,

Hope someone can help me with this one.

I am a british citizen and my fiancee is an australian citizen with dual citizenship in the Uk,

I have a british passport and my fiancee and her 2 children have australian passports.

We are all re-locating to the UK in July and wondered how it worked regarding just coming back and living.I live here due to work and i am fully employed. 

So can we just fly here and just settle as i am a british citizen and my fiancee has duel, and the children will inherit it from their mum.

Can my fiancee and kids be able to travel one way with just an australian passport.

Do we fly here and apply for british passports when we arrive and apply for the british citizenship for the girls when we arrive.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks in advance for any help

Tris

Hi there. I've moved your thread to our UK section as the other forum was for Aus visas.

I would strongly suggest that they all ensure they have valid UK passports to travel on and enter the UK on. Entering in an Aus passport will only give them tourist visa rights and a 6 month stay. If they are citizens by descent, a valid UK passport is the way to show this. There is no applying for citizenship like in Australia, the UK passport is what is needed to be applied for.

It can be done from Australia. All UK passport applications are done in the UK now and it's the same price from wherever and straightforward to do. It take a few weeks to get the passports is all. Apply in plenty of time. 

If you fly into UK with Australian passports on a one way ticket you will be stopped at immigration and questioned it can be a lengthy question time too as our friend was held for hours Far better to get the UK passports leave OZ on the Aussie paaport then enter the Uk with the UK passport 

It is true that if you try to enter the UK on a one way ticket, you will be questioned and probably held up. They may even decide to deny entry to one or all of you and send you on the next available plane back. It is really not worth the risk. The move back itself will be stressful enough without having troubles like this, even before you get into the UK. For the cheap cost of the passports that you need and the fact that you have a few months still, get them sorted before you leave, if only for your own piece of mind.

We applied for one for our newborn recently. It was simple and pain free and we got it back within a few weeks. From memory, you can even request (or more likely pay for) an express service, if time is tight. This way you all can fly into the UK and get past border security without any issues.

I recently got UK passports for the kids.  It took less time for them to come back after posting than it did for me to get the forms countersigned and sent off (less than three weeks from posting to when I got them back).

You can't be denied entry if you are a citizen, whether you have a passport or not.

but if you dont have one you can be delayed until immigration is sure your partner and kids have the right to stay.

your partner has the uk citizenship document. I have one too, no idea where it is though. It proves uk citizenship, but the kids have nothing.

id get the passports now. Much easier after a 24 hour set of flights to walk through than get held up for however long necessary checks may take......