Applying for a 189 Visa as a Carpenter with 60 points

Hi All,

I have been in Australia for around three years, two of which on a WHV and currently here as a student, studying Carpentry Cert 3 at TAFE. I have been accepted to do the Building and Construction Cert 4 course after the carpentry course. I will qualify from the current course in mid June.  

I was chatting to a friend today and had a look at one of the point tests on an immigration agent website and it seems that with me finishing the carpentry course I should have 60 points provided I can get 8+ on the IELTS test. I think with a bit of study, this is definitely attainable for me. I have been working doing carpentry work for the last theee years, on a self employed basis mostly. If they allow me to include any of my experience previous to being qualified, I will have 65 points, presuming it is only one year experience I add. 

I am wondering what the process is if I nominate my trade as carpentry after qualifying from the Cert 3 course? I read somewhere that this counts as a valid skills assessment but I am more or less clueless on the matter so would like to know if anyone has any idea? Or would I need to do a seperate skills assessment after I finish up at TAFE? I feel I can do nearly everything in carpentry, unassisted, but I haven't done a great deal of roofing for example, so this could be an issue. 

Another option I have is applying for a 461 visa with my girlfriend as she is Kiwi. This would allow me to build up more experience before I apply, but I am wondering if I can bypass all of that and apply for a 189 when I qualify. 

Studying here, as some of you will know, is very expensive and I would like to save myself the hassle of paying another 15,000 to get an extra 5 points if I could just apply for it now.

What advice can you give me on my current dilemma? 

Thanks in advance,

Mark

If you wish to apply for a permanent skilled visa, then an AQF 3 would give you 10 points, but you would still need to have your skills assessed - the assessment authority (VETASSESS or ACTS for example) would take into account your qualifications and referenced work experience. ACTS require 3 years' referenced work experience, Vetassess normally require 5 years', but with an AQF 3 you could apply via pathway 2 which only requires three years.

Regards,

Richard

• 1 year later...

Hi Mark,

I am/was looking at doing the carpentry course in Australia and wondered if you have now completed this and how you found it?

Did you do the Job ready programme after finishing to get your skills assessed?

There is a lot of risks with studying overseas and trying to migrate afterwards so good to get another persons feedback who is currently going through this.

How did you cope financially with everything and working part time? is is realistic?

Thanks

Ashley

16 minutes ago, Blake87 said:

Hi Mark,

I am/was looking at doing the carpentry course in Australia and wondered if you have now completed this and how you found it?

Did you do the Job ready programme after finishing to get your skills assessed?

Note the response from Richard above, he's a registered migration agent so he knows what he's talking about.  The name "skills assessment" is a bit misleading, unforrtunately.  It isn't just a matter of having your skills assessed.  You also need to prove three years' work experience in the job.   Usually that experience needs to be after you get the qualifications, not before, so that's your difficulty.

Edited by Marisawright

Hi Marisa,

Thanks for the reference, I did see this prior to my post also.

On the Job Ready Programme you can get your skills assessed without the 3 years work experience and this is why wanted to see what route Mark had done and what his feedback was.

There are many risks with what I am looking into, studying then getting a Post grad visa/job ready programme and then lodging EOI. Still hoping that the occupation is on the list in 3.5 years time but from reading up on this I cannot see why it will not be.

But like anything there is a lot of financial risk to way up which is why trying to get all the info I can.

Thans

Ashley 

There is every chance it won't be or that the entire system it totally different. The occupations change at least once a year, though recently there has been a fair bit more than that. In the last 12 months, over 200 occupations have been removed and the government have made it clear it isn't finished. It also wants to drastically cut the number of visas.

If you decide to study in Oz, the best advice is what I give to all temp visa holders. Assuming you will be returning at the end