Where to study...

FutureNOZ

I am in need of some advice. I have a choice between 2 TAFE locations. One is in northern NSW and the other in Queensland. They both offer carpentry but the one in queensland seems a lot better because it actually provides the vocational placement needed and in NSW I would have to find it myself. Only problem is the only way I can get 60 points in Queensland is if I score an 8 on all sections of the IELTS. If I study in northern NSW I get an extra 5 points for regional area so I can get over 60 points with a 7 on IELTS. I am a native English speaker but I would say my English is not superior by any means. I would have more than 2 years to prepare. I have searched through a lot of prior posts and I just need some advice. Is it really that difficult to score an 8 if I devote an hour a day for the 2 years I am studying and do all the test preperations? Alot have said it is easy but I was forewarned by the migration agent not to count on IELTS. I am planning to do the post graduate 485 visa and he told me if I cannot get the points if I can find a sponsor I would not need 60 points for PR? Doesn't make sense to me. Also I have heard it is very hard to get sponsored in the construction industry.

Thanks

I am aware I have to study a cricos certified course and at least 2 years study etc. I am working with a migration agent to make sure I tick all my boxes but I have also taken others advice on this forum to research the whole process myself as well. I just wanted some advice from someone other than the agent. Is getting all 8's a realistic goal for someone without a college degree or am I dreaming?

I wouldn't personally trust a recruiter. I've never seen one who's actually been Mara registered. 

Get an independent agents advice. 

As for the IELTS. As an English speaker it's not that hard to get all 8s. I didn't revise at all and managed it. 

• Like 1

Get an independent agents advice. 

Some people believe that 'advisers' who represent an official body such as the DIBP or a course provider, know more and give better advice than a registered migration agent and it is sad VFS are permitted to offer migration advice. 

All the registered migration agents who regularly post on this forum are better qualified and better informed than any of the above and unlike the above, they can be held to account for incorrect advice, or errors in managing a case.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2017 at 7:53 AM, FutureNOZ said:

I am planning to do the post graduate 485 visa and he told me if I cannot get the points if I can find a sponsor I would not need 60 points for PR? Doesn't make sense to me.

a) the 485 is not a points tested visa, nor is it Permanent;

b) as you are not studying a degree qualification, your will need to apply for the 485 under the old graduate work stream pathway. This is quite difficult, as among other requirements, it requires a skills assessment in an occupation on the SOL.

On 4/7/2017 at 10:20 AM, FutureNOZ said:

Sorry I should have been more clear. I have not hired a migration agent. The guy recruiting for the TAFE is a registered migration agent so we have spoken breifly on the phone and via email.

You are about to embark on a long and expensive qualification and visa pathway based on a "brief" phone conversation with a recruiter for the course?

Some paid, independent advice may be prudent.

• Like 1

The guy recruiting for the TAFE is a registered migration agent.

Was he acting in the capacity of registered migration agent? 

Are there any migration consultants that offer free phone conaultations

Free advice is often worth what you pay for it.

Some paid, independent advice may be prudent.

Did you note this?

11 hours ago, FutureNOZ said:

Thanks to you both. Are there any migration consultants that offer free phone conaultations or if not what is the average cost?

Thanks

Lots will offer a bit of a chat for free. Actually looking into specifics might be a bit more. But in the end, a couple of hundred dollars is nothing compared to what it could cost you to come here, pay course fees, the whole move, visa fees, limited work capacity for a couple of years etc, possibly for no gain at the end.  

I had education agents telling me I could use courses to get PR which there was no way I could.  Thankful I checked their advice myself (2 out of 3 actually told me I could get PR from a course that I couldn't).  

From the Australian newspaper 2007

UNIVERSITIES are spending more than $64 million a year paying offshore agents commission to recruit international students as the battle for the overseas market intensifies.

Some education providers pay up to 25 per cent commission while others offer bonuses to agents who recruit large numbers of pupils.

Existing students are given incentives to recruit their family and friends, with one university offering vouchers for "educational products" if students referred others to the institution.

Hundreds of education agents across dozens of countries recruit more than 50per cent of all international students coming into Australia, and often agents have contracts with multiple institutions.

Universities pay agents up to 10per cent of an international student's first year fees while private vocational and training colleges can fork out as much as 25 per cent.

Concerns have been raised that some smaller agents may be motivated by commission rates when directing students to institutions.

But universities and education agents say fierce competition and strict federal government legislation prevent this from happening.

Deakin University international division executive director Liz Stinson said education agents were almost like the university's representatives or distributors: "How else can we be in so many countries?"

Ms Stinson said Deakin paid agents 10 per cent but also offered incentives. "Ten per cent might be the best rate for 20 students but I might give 12 per cent for the 21st student," she said.

Queensland University of Technology deputy vice-chancellor (international) Vi McLean said a substantial proportion of international students were recruited through education agents: "I think the only way to see it is as a cost that is necessary to recruit international students."

RMIT University international services director Michelle Hoodbhoy said RMIT paid "standard" commission rates to its agents. She said the university paid 10 per cent for university courses, 12 to 15 per cent for TAFE and foundation studies, and 15 to 20 per cent for English language courses.

Ms Hoodbhoy said she was not concerned by agents in the higher education sector, but she was concerned about some in the private vocational training sector.

"Anecdotally we have heard that some (private colleges) pay 20 to 25 per cent of first year fees," she said.

National Tertiary Education Union policy officer Paul Kinest said there were suggestions some agents may put their financial interests first and direct students to institutions that paid the most commission.

Indo-Australian Education Centre consultant Bina Shah said distressed students came to the centre claiming they had been wrongly directed into a course by other education agents. "I have seen doctors sent to study horticultural courses and nurses sent to cookery courses," she said. "It is very sad to see that agents are directed by the commission."

The education agent said the centre tried to find the best course for students rather than being ruled by fee considerations or trying to get students permanent residency.

IDP Education, an agent part-owned by 38 universities that brings in 20 per cent of all international students to Australia, said the agent process is subject to strict government regulation and is impartial.

Managing director Tony Pollock said agents played a very important role: "They provide a way in which universities can speak to students in many different countries."

According to the Australian Universities International Directors Forum, 33 universities paid $64million in commissions in 2005, which was equal to 3.8 per cent of their total international student revenue.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
2 minutes ago, FutureNOZ said:

WRUSSEL thank you for that link that is shocking comission percentages. Could anyone recommend an agent I could have a phone consultation with? It makes sense to pay a bit of money to get anothers perspective on the whole thing.

Thanks

Two agents who are very reputable have posted here for you, contact @wrussell or @Raul Senise

Some course providers offer up to 40% commission.

Historically many course providers would not engage the services of registered migration agents to recruit students. They preferred to do business with 'education agents' and other unregistered agents who hid behind the fiction that they were not offering migration advice, only student visa advice. Prospective students were encouraged to believe that they could 'change their status' if they were studying in Australia.

Some ministers ago, the Honourable Senator Evans took steps to ‘break the nexus' between student visas and permanent residence. After this 'own goal' we had the knight report, which was an attempt to undo the damage: 

http://shanghai.china.embassy.gov.au/files/hkng/HOME_KnightReviewStudentVisa.pdf

I advise prospective students who are dealing with a course provider or an education agent and might want to apply for a further visa to consult a registered migration agent before committing to a course of action.

Years ago, when I used to see clients,  a student who had brought his family here and had completed two degrees at a cost of $180 000 wanted to see me urgently, but baulked at paying $121 (including GST) for consultation. A month or so later he phoned me and told me he had been refused a visa and wanted to know what to do. 

• Like 1