Returning to the UK - student loans company

Nighteagle

Hi all I am new to the forum. Just wanted some advice. I am looking to return to the uk in the next few months following 11 years away living in Australia. 

I haven't paid off my student loan and wondered what is likely to happen upon returning and starting work.

i understand that loans from my time at uni as an undergrad (01-04) were sold off to a seperate company but many have mentioned that they have returned to the uk and not been followed up on the debt. 

Am i likely to be chased for the money? What is my best stance? Some have said that I would be crazy to inform the SLC that I have returned but am interested to see if anyone else has had this experience? 

You should have been paying it back anyway.

my son gets contacted every year to ascertain his income here in Oz to set payments.

Mind you the system was pretty chaotic and the website is terrible so tbh I can't blame anyone for just forgetting to contact them.  After all they put the onus on you to keep your promise to pay it back.  Morally I would feel bad not doing so, especially if I was earning decent money.  But if they can't be bothered to track people...........

maybe your NI number will trigger something.

You were supposed to fill overseas form in if you leave UK http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678653&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Based on your dates at Uni you were on plan 1 and should have been making payments over £21000 from Australia if you informed them http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678668&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Dont think anyone is going to investigate that now but I would assume once you starting earning over £17000 in the UK it will automatically kick in as was mentioned through your NI number. I believe interest would also have been added during the time you were away. Don't worry though as long as you pay the minimum payment if I am reading it correctly yours will be written off at 65 :D

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

You could owe $50,000 to the banks and get away with it, but owe $1 to the government and they will chase you for it.