Kids starting new schools

jobiz

We are planning to emmigrate in September 2018 with 3 children who will be aged 11, 9 and 7.

My eldest will be due to start high school here in UK and my boys will be due to start year 5 and 3. I was wondering what this means for them starting school in WA?

Also as the school year only starts in January WA I was wondering if my kids would be allowed to take a 'sabbatical' of sorts between September and December, to settle into life in Australia and only start school in the new year, or would they have to start as soon as we arrived? If so would they have to repeat part of the year's they have just finished in the UK school year?

There's so much to consider...my heads in a bit of a spin and needs some clarity...any advice would be helpful.

thanks

Re the sabbatical from school once you move to Aus. Tbh I'd get them into school in the weeks after you arrive. Even if it's only for 2/3rds of the term or whatever else it gives them some structure, a chance to make friends before the summer holidays and also to give you some time to get organised at home and find your feet. If you hold off them starting school till the new year you are looking st them being at home for 4 months and that is a long time to be in their own company and at home while other kids are at school, clubs and and so on. 

By all means take a couple of weeks or so to check schools out, see what you like and find a longer term rental but don't keep them out of school for 4 months. The school year doesn't start till the end of Jan so it's a long time for the kids to be home away from making friends and being kids alongside other kids. 

Don't worry about 'repeating' part of a year. It's a totally different education system and having the last term to join in, find their feet and so on is not a bad thing. Being at home for 4 months in a new country is probably going to be more isolating than it is beneficial IMHO as you will need time to do your stuff, day to day things, errands and more. Also most kids will be at school, and play parks and so on get boring after a while. Also you won't have a bottomless pit of money to spend on them and day trips, sightseeing and so on. Save that for weekends and the school holidays. You will have migrated, so start living your new life asap and get out of holiday mode and save that for actual holidays.   

Fwiw we moved in the Oct and our son started school the week after we arrived and loved it. We then moved areas 7 months later and also changed schools mid year then too as we had moved too far away and found a much better school. Son coped well and hasn't looked back. 

I'd say get the kids into school ASAP as it's the quickest way to ensure smooth transition into their new way of life. 

I'm migrating this year and will be putting my almost 6 year old pretty much straight into Prep. We are having the first 3/4 weeks in a short term rental and viewing a few schools. But then in she goes!! The choice between that or keeping her off until end Jan isn't really an option for a few reasons, not least of all because she will pretty much be on her own for 6 months and that's not fair on her. The other thing is that I also want to start work (we need two salaries I think to ensure a mortgage in Melbourne), and if I'm at home for 6 months, I can't do that, and she's too old for childcare centres!!

I have only the one however, perhaps your 3 would be company for each other? 

Edited by Beffers

Foreign country, totally different education system, just start them as soon as you arrive and get a house and forget what year level they may have been in in UK, they could be in the same year again in WA depending on their birth dates, just put them with their age peers.

• Like 1

echo what everyone else has said. We arrived Aug15, and our 7 year old was into school in September. She loved it, and fitted in really well. It made for a nice adjustment and allowed her to see how the school functioned and start making friends,which then led to play dates and more importantly a circle of parents that could help with babysitting! Our youngest started kinder in the Jan and it was a long time for him to wait. My wife enjoyed the time with him, but at the end of it they were both ready for him to start.

• Like 1