Help - Climate in Oz?

Toni-girl

Hi everyone, hope you can help as I'm not having much luck with my UK compatriotes!

I'm hoping to go to Uni in Oz next July, the big problem is choosing which one, it's not like I can pop over to check the places out! I'm applying to loads of uni's all over the country and obviously it depends on where I'm accepted that I'll really have to make some decisions.

So far I'm looking at Melbourne, Brisbane, Cairns, Sydney and a few places going up the coast. I'm leaning heavily towards Brisbane, I don't know why but from what I've read it has glorious weather and after having 23 years of the UK it sounds very appealing.

So after all this my question is, woud the weather in Brisbane up to Cairns be unbearable for an Essex girl to handle (bearing in mind i am quite pale and have a tendancy to get prickly heat when I go abroad :arghh:) or would Sydney/ Melbourne be more appropriate? Like I said, i don't know anyone from the UK who's been over there and I don't know any Aussie's either. I've decided that I'm fed up doing a mundane job and living a life I don't want to and have decided to do something about it at long last!! It's a big decision to make and i don't want to screw it up!

Any help/ advice would be so greatly appreciated :spinny:

Toni

Guest Pinhead

Cairns is very humid being in the tropics but you would get used to it after a while. However during the Summer Dec-Mar they have a lot of tropical storms. Temperarture is around 25-30c most of the year. Brisbane has a similar temperature but with less rain & humidity (outside tropics)

Melbourne's weather is notoriously unpredictable and changeable, so very english!

June average temperature is around 14c, often rainy but often sunny.

In the Summer temperatures can hit 40c but rarely for more than a couple of days, average would be around 25c.

Hi everyone, hope you can help as I'm not having much luck with my UK compatriotes!

I'm hoping to go to Uni in Oz next July, the big problem is choosing which one, it's not like I can pop over to check the places out! I'm applying to loads of uni's all over the country and obviously it depends on where I'm accepted that I'll really have to make some decisions.

So far I'm looking at Melbourne, Brisbane, Cairns, Sydney and a few places going up the coast. I'm leaning heavily towards Brisbane, I don't know why but from what I've read it has glorious weather and after having 23 years of the UK it sounds very appealing.

So after all this my question is, woud the weather in Brisbane up to Cairns be unbearable for an Essex girl to handle (bearing in mind i am quite pale and have a tendancy to get prickly heat when I go abroad :arghh:) or would Sydney/ Melbourne be more appropriate? Like I said, i don't know anyone from the UK who's been over there and I don't know any Aussie's either. I've decided that I'm fed up doing a mundane job and living a life I don't want to and have decided to do something about it at long last!! It's a big decision to make and i don't want to screw it up!

Any help/ advice would be so greatly appreciated :spinny:

Toni

Hello Toni

Alot of the Aussies are fair Skinned and like you say you'll have to go were your accepted the weather can be a issue but you have got to give it a go. Just go with the flow your young and you'll have agreat time

Good Luck and just enjoy the experiance

John

Thanks guys. I think you're right John, i won't know unless I go, and what just because others like/ dislike it, doesn't mean I'll feel the same!

I read on another thread that Brisbane is about 40 mins/ an hour away from the coast so you don't get much of a breeze, is that true?

Also, can anyone recommend a good uni in Queensland? I liked the look of James Cook Uni in Townsville but someone said to steer well clear of there! I just want somewhere that is quite well known/ respected and there would be lots of job opportunities around. Any ideas?1

Wollongong Uni is supposed to be one of the finest in the country, good climate too.

Hi skip Wollongong is known as little Rotherham or iy was the steelworks was manned by 10 quid poms in the 60`s early 70`s when a lot moved from steelos A lot of my oln manx mates went

Malx

aka Billy 1M

Thanks Skippy! I did look at that one, but I thought if I moved back to the UK after uni, if i put "Uni of Wollongong" on my CV, would anyone believe me?! It's not a typical name in the UK is it!!!

I got my undergraduate degree a couple of years ago, and although I enjoyed it, it wasn't one of the best uni's around. I know I'm not in the Oxford or Cambridge league, but I haven't a clue what are the equivalents in Oz, or at least the well respected ones. Wollongong's back on the list then!

Melbourne and Sydney like to think of themselves as being the Oxbridge of the antipodes. On world scales of university actually the ANU (Australian National University) in Canberra rates higher than either of them but they dont like to acknowledge that. Canberra has the benefit of 4 defined seasons so you do get some respite from the heat in summer. It has quite a good national and international reputation.

Guest ajgwa

toni i have no idea what the uni's are like here in aus. so this is just me selling where i am! after all - if you like the place and the studying then that all helps you enjoy the place don't you think?

i live in brisbane, and am loving the city so far. the different campus areas that i have seen are great. i was running around St Lucia this morning and the facilities look great. what are you looking at studying? there are campuses on south bank and around kelvin grove and they are all great places. if you are looking at quality of life i think this place is a lot better than essex (i lived nearby in chatham for a while!) depending on where you live then you could find your journey to uni is on the city cat along the river - which is a great way to get to work - believe me!

we are in winter and yet i am still wandering round in my shorts during the day - and i am fair skinned, too. i am acclimatising though and am 'rugging up' in the evenings. summer here is hot - so i made sure i got a place with air con'!

you get plenty of breeze down by the river, too and with all the hills around the place i have had plenty of wind. fnar fnar. good luck.

Adam

I'm looking to do a Masters of Professional Accounting, pretty much a conversion course seeing as my undergraduate degree wasn't accountancy based. Depending on where I go (and I've narrowed it down to 22 unis!!!), it'll either be 1.5/ 2 years studying. I'm hoping 2 years because apparantly it makes applying for a permanent visa much easier?

I just wish things could happen so much quicker. The longer it takes, the more I start questionning whether it's the right thing to do, have I chosen the right area etc. If I could just make a decision and go I'd be a lot happier!! I have ruled out Darwin and Perth though just because it would take forever to travel anywhere else in Oz!!

• 3 months later...

Melbourne University is fantastic, very much in the city, very college-y and fantastic for the Arts. Melbourne is a quirky city with boiling (40+) weather in summer, and quite chilly (10-) in winter. Loads of international students.

Bond University in Queensland is renowned, but private. Very challenging.

Archived