Which ielts test

mrtc

I've signed up for an ielts test in support of my pending expression of interest. I'm a professional who is used to writing reports & believe I have a good shot at the superior English grading.

I'm assuming that I need to be signed up to the academic IELTS exam for this vs. the general test for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most occupations only require general ielts. The test isn't difficult for native speakers, but you should do practice tests to familiarize yourself with the format. There are often 'trick' questions where two answers could be right. Typically one is explicit in the text, the other can be inferred. Always go for the explicit one

Ok. Thanks for this. Upon further digging there are a range of different test providers & I found a table with the cutoff criteria (can't find the link anymore). My view is that 20 points will fare better than getting 10.

General IELTS is fine for skilled migration requirements, unless Academic is required as part of a skills assessment.

There are IELTS tutors out there who can provide some pointers. Marian Anderson for example: englishforemigration.com she is a former IELTS marker.

You can also access practice materials from the British Council website (as well as book a test). There's also a lot of handy advice on Youtube.

Regards,

Richard