Otaining passport after citizenship ceremony

mx44

Hi

Has anyone had experience of applying for aussie passport immediately after the naturalization ceremony or from the UK while on holiday ?

The council have told me they have'nt set any definite date yet only that my ceremony will be late April or May I will be going back to the Uk for 6 weeks (i did declare this on my citizenship application) and while im away my UK passport expires so was hoping to have my Aus pasport well before i leave but now im not so sure, i have read that after the ceremony it can take 10 days plus for immigration to update the records if this is the case and i have to renew my Uk passport how will i get back in here without a visa or aus passport ?

After explaining all this to many immigration officers and getting nowhere im hoping someone here can help or give advise on similar expriences.

i did enquire about a urgent ceremony but expired passports and births arent classed as urgent so that isnt an option ethier.

thanks

Edited by mx44

I would be planning to get a new UK passport anyway and transfer the visa over so that bit is covered. Then if the ceremony is in good time before you travel (seems to take about 2 weeks to get pport after it as a minimum from what I've heard) go, andvet your Aus pp as quickly as you can. If your ceremony date is within 2-3 weeks of your travel date, decline it and ask for another date. I know they say they get sticky with that but there's not a lot you can do - if the ceremony is when you're away you can't go anyway, can you?

You can get an Oz passport very quickly. I had my ceremony on a Thursday night and had a passport by Friday lunch time. You need to book and urgent appointment with the passport office once you have a ceremony date and book it for the following day. You need to take your certificate and other ID.

The invitation letter to the ceremony states: "It is recommended that you wait until 10 business days after your citizenship ceremony to apply for an Australian passport". Not sure why they recommend that when Verystormy doesn't appear to have had any trouble getting his the next day, but that is what it says.

If its a new/first passport don't you need to go in person to the high commission for an in person appointment?

If you've not already have a read of what an Aus passport application would entail in the UK

https://www.passports.gov.au/passportsexplained/pages/quickoverseasapplicationguide.aspx

You'd need an Aus passport to get back into Aus surely if you did become a citizen before leaving for the UK.

The invitation letter to the ceremony states: "It is recommended that you wait until 10 business days after your citizenship ceremony to apply for an Australian passport". Not sure why they recommend that when Verystormy doesn't appear to have had any trouble getting his the next day, but that is what it says.

PR will be cancelled in VEVO straight after the citizenship ceremony on the same day so in theory you don't have to wait 10 business days as it's all done electronically now.

Maybe it's just a standard wording as sometimes there are mass ceremonies (in our case over 200 applicants the same day).

If its a new/first passport don't you need to go in person to the high commission for an in person appointment?

If you've not already have a read of what an Aus passport application would entail in the UK

https://www.passports.gov.au/passportsexplained/pages/quickoverseasapplicationguide.aspx

You'd need an Aus passport to get back into Aus surely if you did become a citizen before leaving for the UK.

Nope. I got mine at the passport office in Perth as i needed it urgent, my wife got hers through the post.

Nope. I got mine at the passport office in Perth as i needed it urgent, my wife got hers through the post.

I was meaning if its applied for in the UK. I think you have to make an appointment and go in person for a first passport or a child passport.