Will the AITSL accept an open university course??

velocityvik

Hi,

i have carried out a quick search and could not find an answer. My wife and I have fallen in love with Perth after a recent visit. My wife is a primary school teacher but only has a 3 year degree. Would the AITSL accept an open university course or distance learning course as a top up needed for the extra year? The reason we need to do this is that in reality we need both of our incomes and cannot afford to cut out one income to study full time.

Thank you in advance.

Vik and Kerry

Hi,

i have carried out a quick search and could not find an answer. My wife and I have fallen in love with Perth after a recent visit. My wife is a primary school teacher but only has a 3 year degree. Would the AITSL accept an open university course or distance learning course as a top up needed for the extra year? The reason we need to do this is that in reality we need both of our incomes and cannot afford to cut out one income to study full time.

Thank you in advance.

Vik and Kerry

Look at the aitsl website. aitsl.edu.au, most of the info you need will be on there and what you will need to pass a skills assessment.

you do need a minimum of 45 days supervised practice supervised by a qualified teacher

also there really isn't a shortage of primary teachers in Australia, certainly not in the major cities, and certainly not in Perth , the positions that there are are often in rural or remote areas which is probably not what you are thinking of , most jobs in Perth would be casual , relief or temp contracts in the cities which may not be ideal if as you say you are dependent on a double income, work can be there one minute with a gap before the next

look at jobs.wa.gov.au , or seek .com that will give you an idea

anyway good luck

Getting a visa would not be easy. Primary teacher is only on the CSOL list which means you would need sponsorship. At the moment only two states are sponsoring. One requires a job offer as a condition and the other that you also are qualified and experienced in teaching a foreign language.

It needs to be the equivalent of an additional year of study with an academic transcript. Universities offer this and it would be acceptable. I did an additional psychology course online and received a transcript (not that I needed it for my AITSL application). Depending on what age your wife teaches she could be utilized in a secondary school setting, low ability classes, primary school model etc. There are some primary jobs around in growth areas outside of Perth that I've seen but I don't know the amount of applicants for these. As @shaunfreo says contract/relief work is the way to go, create some contacts and take it from there.

Getting a visa would not be easy. Primary teacher is only on the CSOL list which means you would need sponsorship. At the moment only two states are sponsoring. One requires a job offer as a condition and the other that you also are qualified and experienced in teaching a foreign language.

Ah if it's on the CSOL then there is more issues!