Enter Australia after 5 years

Fillofit

Hi everyone, I understand that applicant of visa 190 has to stay in Australia for two years within five years since the visa being granted, but my question is whether i can start my stay after five years instead. Any way I can postpone the commencement date that beyond five years?

thanks

You misunderstand, there is no requirement to live in Australia for two years of the first five years of the visa being granted. So long as the visa has been activated by visiting Australia, you could not spend another day in Australia and move to Australia on the very last day of the five years and that would be perfectly fine.

Bungo is totally right, however you may then have difficulty gaining a RRV until you have been in Australia 12 months meaning if you left you would not be able to return. That's leaving at all- even a weekend in Bali or a business trip to Singapore.

Ideally you would want to arrive in Australia with 12 months left on the visa and you can be sure of getting an RRV.

So if you arrived on the last day before the RRV expires you have to be in the country 2 years before applying for another RRV - covering the 2 year residency rule.....is that right? Its to stop folk holding onto a PR but not really living there I think.

We validated our PR visa with a 2 week holiday shortly after it was granted but then couldn't move to Australia within the 5 years due to my husbands job. We contacted Go Matilda as our RRV was due to expire 5 months before his new job in Australia was due to start and they managed to get us new RRV which lasted 12 months allowing us to arrive after the initial 5 year period. We had to prove that he had a job in Australia but it was a pretty simple process

So if you arrived on the last day before the RRV expires you have to be in the country 2 years before applying for another RRV - covering the 2 year residency rule.....is that right? Its to stop folk holding onto a PR but not really living there I think.
No, you'd need to be in the country 2 years to get a 5-year RRV. You can apply before 2 years is up but you'd get a shorter RRV.

Thanks for getting back. To make it short, does it mean if I didn't stay for two years, my visa 190 and PR status will be voided after five years since its grant day? and no way to extend this "five years" period....

sorry i was just start to plan my migration issue and new to all this kind of information. Thanks.

You misunderstand, there is no requirement to live in Australia for two years of the first five years of the visa being granted. So long as the visa has been activated by visiting Australia, you could not spend another day in Australia and move to Australia on the very last day of the five years and that would be perfectly fine.

Thanks for getting back. To make it short, does it mean if I didn't stay for two years, my visa 190 and PR status will be voided after five years since its grant day? and no way to extend this "five years" period....

sorry i was just start to plan my migration issue and new to all this kind of information. Thanks.

It is you that keeps talking about two years, not me. I have corrected your misunderstanding on "two years" already, see my earlier post.

Your visa won't be technically "voided" after five years, but if you are not in the country you won't be able to pass through immigration control so it becomes worthless in practice. The visa has travel rights for five years and this date is immovable. I would suggest you apply for a visa at such time when you think you might be able to make the move, five years is long enough for most people.

A PR visa lasts 5 years, regardless of how much time you have been in the country after 5 years you need to apply for citizenship or a RRV. These both have there own criteria and I suggest you refer to the immigration website but in a nutshell if you moved to Australia for a while (however long) and then moved back & were out of Australia at the 5 year point then it is unlikely you would be granted a RRV visa unless there were compelling reasons & even then you would not be issued a 5 year RRV (& would not be eligible for citizenship) so you may be able to return but with travel restricted.

Great. Thanks a lot folks!

It is you that keeps talking about two years, not me. I have corrected your misunderstanding on "two years" already, see my earlier post.

Your visa won't be technically "voided" after five years, but if you are not in the country you won't be able to pass through immigration control so it becomes worthless in practice. The visa has travel rights for five years and this date is immovable. I would suggest you apply for a visa at such time when you think you might be able to make the move, five years is long enough for most people.